What's new

New AC88U wifi dropping

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you have any google home/chromecast they have been causing network issues galore. Wifi dieing, being spotty, sucking. Google confirmed.
My case I don't have any of those and still faced the issue.
I have sent my issue through the feedback system added in the firmware so they can resolve it. I suggest those who are facing issues doing the same.

Sent from my SM-G935FD using Tapatalk

I have a 88U with the same issue (5GHz Channel dropping)
I wound up sending it in for service as well after exhausting all known fixes
it was fine for the first 8mths or so

I found when the 82 FW came out my 88U kept dropping the 5ghz. I rolled back to the 80 and no issues since. It was when it first came out, and I tried all the listed fixes but never got any joy. I will admit I am a little gun-shy now to try again with the 82s.

Mine is an A1 model.

Om 380.xxxx branch issue is not present. service will return it to you saying hw is OK.
Install 380.69 from RMerlin or latest official 380.xxxx from asus site.
And suggest reporting the issue to asus through the feedback system incorporated inside firmware

Om 380.xxxx branch issue is not present. service will return it to you saying hw is OK.
Install 380.69 from RMerlin or latest official 380.xxxx from asus site.
And suggest reporting the issue to asus through the feedback system incorporated inside firmware

Isn't or didn't Asus retire the 380.xx FW's due to security reasons
I'm talking about stock not Merlin's. I really want to use the new mesh fw's out
and also that router is new enough that it shouldn't be having these issues with the new fw's
Thanks

I'm still on 380.69 merlin and today just had the 5GHz band drop after working fine for a few days. The router thinks devices are still connected when I go to the wireless log but no 5GHz users are connected. I'm perplexed about this on a brand new router what is the problem?

I'm still on 380.69 merlin and today just had the 5GHz band drop after working fine for a few days. The router thinks devices are still connected when I go to the wireless log but no 5GHz users are connected. I'm perplexed about this on a brand new router what is the problem?
Have you tried power cycling it? I've seen different behaviors from my 88u depending on the firmware version and have the reboot scheduler set to daily which seems to help it.

I knew as soon as I said its working it wouldn't. So now my 5Ghz band is disappearing.

It was set to auto channel I went ahead and picked one at random and now its back but for how long?
I had issues like this with my 3100. I was able to narrow it down to channel bandwidth. 80Mhz was causing issues so I had to lock it in to 40Mhz.

Last edited:
I had issues like this with my 3100. I was able to narrow it down to channel bandwidth. 80Mhz was causing issues so I had to lock it in to 40Mhz.
Thanks I got it back (who knows how long) by changing the channel again but it was already manually set so I will keep this in mind if it happens again.

Thanks I got it back (who knows how long) by changing the channel again but it was already manually set so I will keep this in mind if it happens again.

Before setting channel bandwidth I would drop every 3-5 days. sometimes little longer. I also set channel manually. 149 seems to work well for me. All other settings on the professional tab are set to default values and I have no issues.

Good luck

I switched DD-WRT and I have hardware version A6.
I no longer have problems on 2.4ghz or 5ghz.
Use the trx files not the bin extensions.
If you use .bin you may not be able to go back to Merlin or ASUS stock firmware.
I had another AC88U and I used the .bin I was not able to get back.
asus_rt-ac88u-firmware 36527.trx

Brand new AC88U here... Has anyone else noticed that on the AC88U anytime you fiddle with the wireless settings all WiFi goes out? I've been on the latest Asus firmware (Version 3.0.0.4.384.10007 2018/01/02) and on the latest Merlin (382.2 beta). I've experienced this problem with enabling the guest WiFi, changing the beacon interval, power strength, I mean literally any setting and the router loses WiFi the router thinks its still broadcasting them but none of the devices can connect. The only way to get it back is power cycling the router.

Another thing I noticed is when I tell the router to reboot using the gui it does its countdown but I have a constant ping going and I never see the router drop off during the "reboot".

I have a similar problem that has cropped up since a firmware update probably about 6 months ago. Router is about a year old and has up until then been rock solid. I installed Merlin's ASUS-WRT on day one and it's been magnificent up until it wasn't, after maybe 6moths and several FW updates things slowly went sloppy. Obviously hard to say if its a chips or salsa problem. I have about 30 devices on my LAN and I get peak out my donwnlink at around 400 Mbits before it starts to throttle my services (I can get about 900 MBit down connected directly to modem, but this is typical for consumer grade router/firewall/wifi routers- even the good ones. Anyway, it was rock solid until that started 6 months where not only did it just drop my wifi signal (5 and 2.4) long enough for all my wireless devices to connect to my backup wifi AP (slower Netgear WAC-104, kinda sux). Uptime on ASUS is 40 days- thought I know I did a FW update sooner. Also, my dashboard reports that my WAN link is disconnected but traffic is just fine. I don't see this in wired connections but then again I probably wouldn't catch them. When it loads it is fine for about .5 seconds and then the "no connection" graphic pops over the WAN status on the dashboard. Super odd. I don't seen any error logs reported to my syslog server so no idea what's making this dropout. Did you get anywhere?