What's new

New attack on WPA/WPA2 using PMKID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

umarmung

Source: https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-7717.html

Clientless improvement to brute force, offline dictionary attacks on WPA/WPA2 PSK (Pre-Shared Key) passwords.

Begin Quote

This attack was discovered accidentally while looking for new ways to attack the new WPA3 security standard. WPA3 will be much harder to attack because of its modern key establishment protocol called "Simultaneous Authentication of Equals" (SAE).

The main difference from existing attacks is that in this attack, capture of a full EAPOL 4-way handshake is not required. The new attack is performed on the RSN IE (Robust Security Network Information Element) of a single EAPOL frame.

At this time, we do not know for which vendors or for how many routers this technique will work, but we think it will work against all 802.11i/p/q/r networks with roaming functions enabled (most modern routers).

The main advantages of this attack are as follow:
  • No more regular users required - because the attacker directly communicates with the AP (aka "client-less" attack)
  • No more waiting for a complete 4-way handshake between the regular user and the AP
  • No more eventual retransmissions of EAPOL frames (which can lead to uncrackable results)
  • No more eventual invalid passwords sent by the regular user
  • No more lost EAPOL frames when the regular user or the AP is too far away from the attacker
  • No more fixing of nonce and replaycounter values required (resulting in slightly higher speeds)
  • No more special output format (pcap, hccapx, etc.) - final data will appear as regular hex encoded string
The RSN IE is an optional field that can be found in 802.11 management frames. One of the RSN capabilities is the PMKID.

wireshark_pmkid.png

The PMKID is computed by using HMAC-SHA1 where the key is the PMK and the data part is the concatenation of a fixed string label "PMK Name", the access point's MAC address and the station's MAC address.

PMKID = HMAC-SHA1-128(PMK, "PMK Name" | MAC_AP | MAC_STA)
Since the PMK is the same as in a regular EAPOL 4-way handshake this is an ideal attacking vector. We receive all the data we need in the first EAPOL frame from the AP.

End Quote

I just noticed this, stumbled on it in a different forum I'm reading daily. Quite dangerous but it requires certain features to be enabled on the AP. I am not sure if ASUS routers/APs are vulnerable, or any other devices.

It's a new approach to something that's been around for a while. It is a bit faster, but one still needs to crack the AES PMKID...

PSK is always going to be vulnerable to weak passphrases...

Once again a strong password will help avoid this. The data accessed and sent for processing does in fact have to be cracked. This takes the same amount of time as it always has. The technology is old and we need WPA3 as soon as we can.
Beside using a strong password, is there another way to avoid/fix the exposure ?
Is there any news about WPA3 availability ?
I know that it is a too open question, but is there a list of the actual equipments that will support WPA3 (if any) ?

Last edited:
Once again a strong password will help avoid this. The data accessed and sent for processing does in fact have to be cracked. This takes the same amount of time as it always has. The technology is old and we need WPA3 as soon as we can.

I have been using the same password for 10 years and nobody has ever hacked me.

My SSID:
  • C:\Virus.exe (in Asuswrt-Merlin)
  • Wireless (in Fork)
My password:
H1234567nZ2

Last edited:
Worth revisiting...

I have a really hard time with this often-quoted comics, for multiple reasons. Just one among many: very long passwords = very easy to mistype them, since you can't see what you're typing. So if you're going to rely on a password manager to copy-paste, just make it fully random instead, and don't even care about whether or not you can remember it. Plus, many systems would choke on such a long password (including many routers).

Only time I use very long xkcd/Diceware style passwords, i.e. passphrases, are for a password manager itself and for master keys for long running public key cryptography.

Otherwise randomly generated pattern/letter passwords by password managers work perfectly for everything else. This makes it very comfortable to use a completely different password for everything and to change passwords at any time.

This also makes it less likely you'll forget since you should have very few passphrases that you need to actually remember - for many people maybe only ONE (the password manager).

I prefer a longer WiFi password, though I reined back from the maximum of 63-printable or 64-hex due to the inconvenience of typing. This was before I discovered the joys of QR-code password printing. :D

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!