What's new

New AX88U but not getting internet speed over Wifi like I should

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Interesting enough, when I switched the control channel to 52, I got full speed, but that only lasted about an hour and it dropped back down. I don't know what could be the cause of this issue.

Interesting enough, when I switched the control channel to 52, I got full speed, but that only lasted about an hour and it dropped back down. I don't know what could be the cause of this issue.

As previously mentionned in the thread, avoid DFS channels. Try channel 36.

You won't get 600 Mbps out of a dual stream client that connects at 866 Mbps. Best you might get without interference is probably closer to 500-550 Mbps.

Make sure your client driver is up-to-date (especially Intel clients, earlier drivers had compatibility issues with the chip used by the RT-AX88U). Also disable Airtime Fairness on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

Run your test from at least a few feet away - being two feet away might be too close, and cause issues.

Why the hell won't I get more then 866 on the 5ghz band?

And why wouldn't I want airtime fairness? Also, the 2.4ghz channel is totally shut off as I mentioned in OP

Why the hell won't I get more then 866 on the 5ghz band?

Because that's the max speed your clients can connect at. Wifi is a two-way story, the connection will be at the slowest link rate of the two. A four stream router connecting with a two streams client will only give you a two streams connection.

And why wouldn't I want airtime fairness?

Because it has compatibility issues with some clients, especially wireless printers that are equipped with cheap wifi SoCs and which would randomly disconnect if that feature is enabled.

Just tried 36 out and got speeds around 250 mbs

If the speed varies that wildly when you change channel then I suspect you have an interference issue. You will have to experiment to find a clearer channel.

Because that's the max speed your clients can connect at. Wifi is a two-way story, the connection will be at the slowest link rate of the two. A four stream router connecting with a two streams client will only give you a two streams connection.

Wtf!? This model is rated a lot higher then 866!

If the speed varies that wildly when you change channel then I suspect you have an interference issue. You will have to experiment to find a clearer channel.
I just tried this and went through every channel. Channel 52 gets me to full speed but that only lasts for an hour before dropping back down to around 300mbs. Do you have any other suggestions for me to try out?

did you set strict 80 MHz bandwith?
Yes I've tried nearly everything I've seen through this sub section that was recommended in past posts as well. It's really strange being if I plug in a older router I get full speed on various channels.

Wtf!? This model is rated a lot higher then 866!

As I said, if you have a phone that can only connect up to 866 Mps, it won't matter if the router can support up to 1733 - the phone simply cannot connect to such high speed. The phone won't magically gain two extra antennas.

I just tried this and went through every channel. Channel 52 gets me to full speed but that only lasts for an hour before dropping back down to around 300mbs. Do you have any other suggestions for me to try out?

You could try also disabling MU-MIMO and Beamforming in case your device has compatibility issues with it, see if that helps.

As I said, if you have a phone that can only connect up to 866 Mps, it won't matter if the router can support up to 1733 - the phone simply cannot connect to such high speed. The phone won't magically gain two extra antennas.

Who said anything about my Note 8 connecting at 866? Were the hell did you get that number? I said I was only able to pull around 430mbps from my note 8 vs my 600mbps via hardware

Who said anything about my Note 8 connecting at 866?

Its technical specs does. That device has a dual stream, VHT80 wifi chip, which means a max link rate of 866 Mbps. If you take into account wifi overhead, the expected throughput will be in the 400-500 Mbps range, under ideal conditions which is what several other users of that device have reported (and quite a few only reported 300 Mbps with that same phone). The router is not the bottleneck, the phone is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyNote8/comments/8tkbx5/practical_gigabit_wifi_speed_on_note_8/

Its technical specs does. That device has a dual stream, VHT80 wifi chip, which means a max link rate of 866 Mbps. If you take into account wifi overhead, the expected throughput will be in the 400-500 Mbps range, under ideal conditions which is what several other users of that device have reported (and quite a few only reported 300 Mbps with that same phone). The router is not the bottleneck, the phone is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyNote8/comments/8tkbx5/practical_gigabit_wifi_speed_on_note_8/

Interesting....so I wonder why the hell my i7 6600u 12gig RAM 1TB NVME M.2 Lenovo T460s with the intel AC-8260 can barely pull over 300mbps? I was freaking amazed the damn i7 was pegged the entire time during a speed.net test, how could a speed test max out a i7?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting....so I wonder why the hell my i7 6600u 12gig RAM 1TB NVME M.2 Lenovo T460s with the intel AC-8260 can barely pull over 300mbps? I was freaking amazed the damn i7 was pegged the entire time during a speed.net test, how the frack could a speed test max out a i7?

An Intel AC8260 should definitely get more than 300 Mbps however, I get close to 550 Mbps with my own Intel AC7260 in a Thinkpad Yoga 15, however that speed test is run within my LAN (my Internet connection is only 120 Mbps).

The laptop CPU being floored during the test might be because of the Speedtest web application. Try comparing with a different test site, like Netflix's https://fast.com test site.

Also, I know that older Intel drivers are known to have issues with the RT-AX88U wifi SoC, make sure you get the latest driver from Intel's website rather than from Toshiba. If my memory's right, you need at least version 21.xx of the driver to resolve the compatibility issues (21.40 is currently the latest).

Do you have any way you could also test the speed within your LAN to determine if the bottleneck is with the router, Internet, or the laptop's wifi adapter?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!