What's new

New AX88U but not getting internet speed over Wifi like I should

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Arct1c0n

Occasional Visitor
Recently upgraded my SB6183 modem to the SB8200 from Arris so I could jump to 1gig from Xfinty sometime down the road, but I recently got a free upgrade to 500mpbs down/ 18mpbs up and amazingly, when I put in the SB8200, it shot up over 600Mbps.

I also treated myself to a AX88U as my new wife will doing a lot of streaming and I like to game so I wanted to future proof a bit. All my devices in our new apt are 5ghz capable and because their are so many 2.4ghz AP's in my apartment complex, I decided to just shut down 2.4ghz radio entirely

For now i've just allowed the AX88U to auto select channel as I have someone right above me who is also broadcasting 5ghz wifi and so we are fighting for channels as it bounces around between 130 and 160.

That being said, I am at a loss as to why none of my devices can even break the 500mpbs barrier, even when right in front of the router. My Note 8 will max out at only 430Mbps and my work laptop, a Lenovo T460s with Intel Dual band AC-8260 card will hardly get over 300mpbs, even when I have laptop 2 feet away from the 88U. My wifes iphone 10 is about the same, only around 300Mpbs. When I then I immediately then test over cat7 hardwired gaming desktop, it will pull over 600Mpbs

So what the hell am I missing here with my wifi settings on this AX88U? My AP is the red SSID

kTwhPNO.jpg

DrXawJJ.jpg

Last edited:
you clearly can see on your picture that you only use 20MHz bandwith, thats limited to the values you get.
Give it 40/80 or even 160MHz and you will see it doubling with each.

you clearly can see on your picture that you only use 20MHz bandwith, thats limited to the values you get.
Give it 40/80 or even 160MHz and you will see it doubling with each.

I don't have anything that will support 160mhz so its disabled, its still on its default 20/40/80 channel settings

Also, my AP is the red SSID in the listing

Last edited:
8260 max. connection is 866Mb/s only, about 1/3 may be used for WiFi overhead, so you are at limits even with 80MHz.
But you see it only uses 20MHz bandwith, change to 80 and it will be faster.

8260 max. connection is 866Mb/s only, about 1/3 may be used for WiFi overhead, so you are at limits even with 80MHz.
But you see it only uses 20MHz bandwith, change to 80 and it will be faster.

Afraid you got me confused there. Now I wish I posted pic of my wifi settings

Whats the problem? Change bandwith to 80 and report back if it solves your issue.

That's correct set it 80 MHz not 20/40/80 The fact that you are on 20/40/80 and the router is choosing 20 is because it detects other interference and going to the lowest setting. Force 80 and speeds should improve providing it can over come the other interference.

That's correct set it 80 MHz not 20/40/80 The fact that you are on 20/40/80 and the router is choosing 20 is because it detects other interference and going to the lowest setting. Force 80 and speeds should improve providing it can over come the other interference.

Reseach tells me I shouldn't even bother with the 160mhz? What about locking the channel, seems like Tim is very adament about that

Last edited:
Agree don't bother with 160 mhz. And yes I always pick my own channel and lock it there. Auto channel is useless. Neighboring routers will switch at will anyway so having auto really does not work and sometimes picks the worse channel to be on.

Agree don't bother with 160 mhz. And yes I always pick my own channel and lock it there. Auto channel is useless. Neighboring routers will switch at will anyway so having auto really does not work and sometimes picks the worse channel to be on.

Judging from the wifi chart in my area, which channel would be best to use or avoid for 5ghz?

What ever channel looks the cleanest that's not a DFS channel. I use 149 here @80mhz.

Your router supports DFS channels ( Look up DFS router channels ) Don't pick from those as many devices don't support them and weather radar will force your router to vacate them if it detects radar signals plus the power output is lower.

Your router supports DFS channels ( Look up DFS router channels ) Don't pick from those as many devices don't support them and weather radar will force your router to vacate them if it detects radar signals plus the power output is lower.

K, home so now I can show all settings properly

dNEkRX2.jpg

RqVwP24.jpg

K, home so now I can show all settings properly
Arct1con,
I have the same issue as you ... I suggest you change your 5GHz Control Channel from "Auto" to a specific channel ... for my case I set to "36", and Power OFF / ON your router. Hope it helps.

Reactions: eaz
That being said, I am at a loss as to why none of my devices can even break the 500mpbs barrier, even when right in front of the router. My Note 8 will max out at only 430Mbps and my work laptop, a Lenovo T460s with Intel Dual band AC-8260 card will hardly get over 300mpbs, even when I have laptop 2 feet away from the 88U. My wifes iphone 10 is about the same, only around 300Mpbs. When I then I immediately then test over cat7 hardwired gaming desktop, it will pull over 600Mpbs

Clients are part of your challenge, as well as just being 11ax early silicon.

Speeds you're seeing aren't bad actually - 11ax isn't going to be any faster than 11ac for an 11ac client.

Clients are part of your challenge, as well as just being 11ax early silicon.

Speeds you're seeing aren't bad actually - 11ax isn't going to be any faster than 11ac for an 11ac client.

That doens't at all explain why I cannot get near my download speed even sitting right next to 88u

That doens't at all explain why I cannot get near my download speed even sitting right next to 88u

You won't get 600 Mbps out of a dual stream client that connects at 866 Mbps. Best you might get without interference is probably closer to 500-550 Mbps.

Make sure your client driver is up-to-date (especially Intel clients, earlier drivers had compatibility issues with the chip used by the RT-AX88U). Also disable Airtime Fairness on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

Run your test from at least a few feet away - being two feet away might be too close, and cause issues.

I am having similar issues just upgraded to xfinity's gigabit plan and get around 630-650mb on old router 5ghz, but can't seem to break over 350 on the asus ax88u. I have tried taking all the actions mention on this thread but still no luck.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!