What's new

Review New In the Charts: ASUS RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Product Review
The RT-AC86U is/was the top AC class router available and the rating was well deserved vs. other comparable products from 2017 (and well into a few years afterward).

With current AX class routers, even for AC class clients, the RT-AC86U shows its age.

Even with a cheaper option (at least when on sale), even the RT-AX68U is superior to the RT-AC86U. And both are eclipsed by the RT-AX86U (of course).

All environments are different of course, but all of my customers who have upgraded to the RT-AX68U have seen similar improvements as the post shown in the link below.

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

And note the biggest takeaway here. A single RT-AX68U in the environment outlined above was superior to 2x RT-AC86Us, even if the customer decided to add the second RT-AX68U anyway.

Believing that AC class equipment is equal to AX class equipment is denial, at best. For an awfully long time now. Even when used with AC class client devices in real-world settings.

The RT-AC86U is/was the top AC class router available and the rating was well deserved vs. other comparable products from 2017 (and well into a few years afterward).

With current AX class routers, even for AC class clients, the RT-AC86U shows its age.

Even with a cheaper option (at least when on sale), even the RT-AX68U is superior to the RT-AC86U. And both are eclipsed by the RT-AX86U (of course).

All environments are different of course, but all of my customers who have upgraded to the RT-AX68U have seen similar improvements as the post shown in the link below.

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

And note the biggest takeaway here. A single RT-AX68U in the environment outlined above was superior to 2x RT-AC86Us, even if the customer decided to add the second RT-AX68U anyway.

Believing that AC class equipment is equal to AX class equipment is denial, at best. For an awfully long time now. Even when used with AC class client devices in real-world settings.

This is very promising update. I have two Asus routers - AC86U and AC68U in AIMesh hardwired. We live in 3 story row house (townhome) ~ about 2200 sq ft. The main router - AC86U is the middle floor, but it struggles to deliver proper performance to one of the bedrooms upstairs, so we had to add AC68U node. With all the excellent and rave reviews of AX86U, I am wondering if I would be able to consolidate my network to a single router.
I want to upgrade because, occasionally, my HomeKit devices freak out when they randomly start roaming between the two nodes. Tried node binding, but still, some devices randomly decide to keep disconnecting and reconnecting. On average, we have about 30 devices connected most of the time, with close half of them occupying 2.4 Ghz radio since they don't support 5.0 Ghz. I am very tempted to try out AX86U. My internet is 900/20, but I will downgrade to 600/20 when my contract ends. I only care for upload, but too cheap to upgrade to gig to get 35mbps - this is Comcast, unfortunately as nothing else is available in my area.

It depends on your Wi-Fi environment, but I have both AC86U and AX86U and the range is about the same. AX86U is newer and better router overall and perhaps more reliable, but it may not help you eliminate the node. The only way to tell is to get one AX86U and try. I would replace AC86U anyway because of multiple hardware and software issues around this model. If yours is working well, it will do much better job as a node than your AC68U.

@mlody_me, what the newer routers like the RT-AX86U do is offer superior throughput at the same or longer range than previous models.

If it's in your price-range, the GT-AX6000 is superior to the excellent RT-AX86U and is easily a 'recommended' when you're trying to get a single router experience in the home today.

When evaluating a new router (and yes, even before taking one out of the box...) be sure you've tested/adjusted the location, orientation and antennae for the best performance, before evaluating further. Including testing for zHeight of the router placement too. Note that in any direction for all these variables, even a few inches (or mm!) can make a significant difference.

It depends on your Wi-Fi environment, but I have both AC86U and AX86U and the range is about the same. AX86U is newer and better router overall and perhaps more reliable, but it may not help you eliminate the node. The only way to tell is to get one AX86U and try. I would replace AC86U anyway because of multiple hardware and software issues around this model. If yours is working well, it will do much better job as a node than your AC68U.

Yeah, my AC86U has been very reliable, so worse case scenario, I would keep it along my new AX86U. If I continue to go AIMesh route, I definitely want to remove AC68U from the network as it does not support Guest mode in AIMesh. We are forced to put many of our kids friends on our primary network, when they come over and that is not the most ideal setup in order to give them the most reliable connection upstairs.

@mlody_me, what the newer routers like the RT-AX86U do is offer superior throughput at the same or longer range than previous models.

If it's in your price-range, the GT-AX6000 is superior to the excellent RT-AX86U and is easily a 'recommended' when you're trying to get a single router experience in the home today.

When evaluating a new router (and yes, even before taking one out of the box...) be sure you've tested/adjusted the location, orientation and antennae for the best performance, before evaluating further. Including testing for zHeight of the router placement too. Note that in any direction for all these variables, even a few inches (or mm!) can make a significant difference.

Thank you for pointing the AX6000. That is some pretty ugly router I would probably not want in my house, but I will reserve my judgment when I see it live. Out of curiosity, how would the AX6000 be more super compared to AX86U in terms of range when power levels are, I believe, regulated by the government? Is there a trick that this router has up in its sleeve compared to AX86U?

Thank you for pointing the AX6000. That is some pretty ugly router I would probably not want in my house, but I will reserve my judgment when I see it live. Out of curiosity, how would the AX6000 be more super compared to AX86U in terms of range when power levels are, I believe, regulated by the government? Is there a trick that this router has up in its sleeve compared to AX86U?
I went from early release AC86U to GT-AX6000, and my experience has been positive!

" That is some pretty ugly router"
My response to your callous and mean spirited remark is.... :eek:
Edit
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Fo Shizzle
-Snoop Gris

Last edited:
GT-AX6000 is not only ugly, but it takes 3 times more space compared to AX86U.

Not sure about children analogy, but I prefer beautiful and supporting wife. Not interested in 3 times bigger and effective like a farm animal. :eek:

GT-AX6000 is not only ugly, but it takes 3 times more space compared to AX86U.

Not sure about children analogy, but I prefer beautiful and supporting wife. Not interested in 3 times bigger and effective like a farm animal. :eek:
That didn't cross my mind to mention, but I agree about the spare requirements. Hence all my routers have been vertical like the AC68/86 and the AX68/86.

There is a new model RT-AX86U Pro coming in few months. You may want to wait a bit and check this one out instead.

There is a new model RT-AX86U Pro coming in few months. You may want to wait a bit and check this one out instead.
I will certainly wait for that. Is there any info about that router at this point yet?

I didn't realize I was in the minority, but I don't care what the router looks like, as long as it works properly, and most importantly has RMerlin FW support! If I had available funds, then I would have opted for the GT-AXE16000. And since I brought the topic up, why not bad mouth the GT-AX6000's lack of mirror top technology, too :)

Is there any info about that router at this point yet?

Yes, it will have updated CPU and radios like the ones in GT-AX6000. :)

Whoever was in a hurry got the ugly router + one extra 2.5GbE port for compensation.

A router and how it performs is more than the mere sum of its parts. Today, the GT-AX6000 has been proven to be superior to everything that has come before, in my actual testing. This is not always the case.

As the highly anticipated RT-AC87U shows to great effect, for example.

Don't buy on specs alone. Some of the recommendations here are based on more then that. At least from the people who actually run Asus/RMerlin networks.

The GT-AX6000 has been an improvement over the AC86 in my environment. The initial router cost ($350 US) was easier to accept, than the $700 US) for the GT-AXE16000. Although, I would get the 16000 if I had the funds.

@Tech9 and the rest of you "Looks" people
I don't want to know your opinions about this Sweet Ride

I don't want to know your opinions about this Sweet Ride

Green is a good choice. I do take care about the environment as well. :)

1660595659241.png

The two router models I usually recommend to people are the RT-AC66U_B1 (because at $100 CAD, quite frankly it does what 90% of home users need), and the RT-AX86U (because it has pretty much all the useful bells & whistles, without going over the top like their GT models).
I know Merlin's post is over a year old but had to look into it: RT-AC66U_B1 is $69.99 US as of 08/17/2022 @ Amazon. Sweet! As long as the RT-AC68U/RT-AC66U_B1 firmware keeps being supported by both Asus/Merlin, it is (still Merlin's top budget pick?) a great deal for a TOP Budget/Great Value router.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N08LPPP/?tag=snbforums-20

Last edited:
That audi makes me want to cry, not in a good way either.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!