What's new

New ISP what tests to run to compare?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anotherengineer

Good day

Sorry if this post is not in correct spot I didn’t see isp/modems

I have 2 isps this month for testing and comparison
Currently eastlink fibre node coax in house 350/10

New is bell fibre 230/30

gateways will be bridge mode and use same 68U router.

I am wonder what tests I should run to get a good idea for line quality between the two??

Thanks

A speed test is your obvious first place to start to ensure your up/down rates match what you pay for.

But there can be a number of other factors that only you know if they are important for you. What sort of public IP can you get? Can you run DDNS? Do you need a static IP? What is the performance of the ISP equipment? What is more important to you and the services you use, upload speed or download speed? What is the upgrade path for 1 year or 2 years down the road if you want more or better services? Is latency critical for you (i.e. gaming) or is there some other aspect that is more important?

Unless you have specialized equipment, your won't likely have access to or be able to test line quality other than whatever your ISP equipment reports, if any at all, but based on your speed test results, you could in theory at least be able to get the provider to test the line quality to ensure it can provide the level you pay for?

A speed test is your obvious first place to start to ensure your up/down rates match what you pay for.

But there can be a number of other factors that only you know if they are important for you. What sort of public IP can you get? Can you run DDNS? Do you need a static IP? What is the performance of the ISP equipment? What is more important to you and the services you use, upload speed or download speed? What is the upgrade path for 1 year or 2 years down the road if you want more or better services? Is latency critical for you (i.e. gaming) or is there some other aspect that is more important?

Unless you have specialized equipment, your won't likely have access to or be able to test line quality other than whatever your ISP equipment reports, if any at all, but based on your speed test results, you could in theory at least be able to get the provider to test the line quality to ensure it can provide the level you pay for?
Thanks
I was thinking ping, and jitter also. People here always seem anal about buffer bloat but is there even a reliable way to test it? I do think there is value in upload and going from 10 to 30 should help for video conf calls etc.
latency and gaming yes as I usually host multiplayer games. Are there some decent sites for this?

I currently have both for a month so plan is to put both through their paces and collect some data.

I guess stability and uptime is most important. Is there a way to stress test modem perhaps like download 100% capacity for hours on end?

no static ip required
Ddns I would have to check

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!