What's new

New managed switch...now what?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JAF

Occasional Visitor
I upgraded my switch to a new Cisco SG300-28. I plan to slowly play around, learn, and tinker with the settings as I get time. But for right now, what would be a few settings I should change or tweak right off the bat? I already set the device with a static ip, gateway, subnet. I downloaded and installed the latest firmware and set the time update service. One of the reason of getting a new switch (besides running out of ports on the old one) was to help out with my home VOIP (Ooma). So any must do setting changes to get me on my way?

Thanks!

You need to change the port type to access for all PC connections. The default VLAN is 1 and all ports are members of VLAN1. If you are connecting to dumb switches then use an access port also.

IF you are using VLANs then you need to connect as a trunk port which I believe is the default port setting.

Once you feel good and want to venture out, the switch will run as a layer 3 switch. I have a thread on here on how to set it up.

Thanks for the link, I did run across that a week ago (been reading a lot).

Right now I have a simple modem (mb8600) to router(asus-ac86u) to switch(sg300-28) setup with around 20 wired and 25 wireless devices(amazing how fast those things add up). Not sure if multiple VLANs or a layer 3 config would benefit me or not, but that's what I'm trying to learn. Just wanted to tick off the right obvious boxes at the start. I'm running a Plex server across the LAN only and my Ooma VoIP. So not too, too much traffic, but would like to optimize the Ooma.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!