What's new

New Netgate 6100 Install

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jasonreg

Regular Contributor
So quick question. I have several older IoT devices that assume the network will be on 192.168.1.x Any downside to setting the main LAN to something else and using 192.168.1.0/24 as a VLAN for IoT devices? I feel like there is an obvious 'Gotcha' I am missing ..... I realize that managed switches and APs default to that VLAN but if I assign them a static IP in a different VLAN that should work yes?

If your LAN is 192.168.1.0/24 you cannot VPN to your LAN from another LAN that is also 192.168.1.0/24
Other than this, there is no problem.

OK so if I set the Main LAN to 192.168.10.0/24 as an example, that would free up the 192.168.1.0 network for IoT rather than choosing another VLAN?

So quick question. I have several older IoT devices that assume the network will be on 192.168.1.x Any downside to setting the main LAN to something else and using 192.168.1.0/24 as a VLAN for IoT devices? I feel like there is an obvious 'Gotcha' I am missing ..... I realize that managed switches and APs default to that VLAN but if I assign them a static IP in a different VLAN that should work yes?

I am wondering if it matters for the IoT device if it is configured to DHCP. If this is an issue,, you can make any subnet the main VLAN. I have my main router on 192.168.1.0/24 but my pfsense test router where i fiddle around on configured on 192.168.2.0/24

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!