What's new

New Network Setup Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevo1569

New Around Here
Hey everyone,

I'm in need of some advice for my new network that I'm building in my apartment.

I just recently moved into a place that issues Comcast Business class SMC modems, I currently own a WNDR4000. Ever since I got the network up and running, I've been dealing with issues such as a roomates xbox complaining about NAT types, I've been dealing with UPnP issues and after some tinkering, found out that most of the issues are dealing with multiple firewalls/securities between the modem and router.

I've remedied most of these issues by enabling DMZ on the modem to allow the router uninterrupted access to the internet. But, I've been reading that running DMZ opens up many security holes and what not.

So heres the question, do I keep the setup the way it is? (is it safe?) Or should I do a system in which I disable DHCP on router, turn it into a switch, and let the modem take care of all security/filtering processes?

Thanks,

Steve.