What's new

New PPPoE fiber

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dokmone

New Around Here
Self taught Noobe here. Just recently switching to Fiber from cable. Reading that my GT-AX1100 should be able to replace their router. As far as I can tell I need to have the PPPoE credentials and swap VLAN tagging. I have found where to setup the VLAN but not to switch from DHCP to PPPoE. The ISP is Kinetic which I believe is like CenturyLink. I have the most recent Merlin uploaded on the main and node (RT-AC88U) hardwired. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Under WAN is the Connection Type and one of the options is PPOE. I use automatic for a cable modem, but the settings on the WAN page change in these ways when I pick PPOE. I can't tell you how these features operate, but its accounted for in the WAN setup of Asus Merlin. I've had 3 Asus routers with Merlin including an AC88 (but not a GT-AX110), the PPOE option has been on all of them

This appears:

1643389012306.png

Also, a WAN account settings (Auto/PAP/CHAP under PPP Authentication)

1643388915958.png

It looks like there could be help under "similar threads" by scrolling to the bottom of this page.

Last edited:
Under WAN is the Connection Type and one of the options is PPOE. I use automatic for a cable modem, but the settings on the WAN page change in these ways when I pick PPOE. I can't tell you how these features operate, but its accounted for in the WAN setup of Asus Merlin. I've had 3 Asus routers with Merlin including an AC88 (but not a GT-AX110), the PPOE option has been on all of them

This appears:

View attachment 38999

Also, a WAN account settings (Auto/PAP/CHAP under PPP Authentication)

View attachment 38993

It looks like there could be help under "similar threads" by scrolling to the bottom of this page.
Thank You @paulbates. Apparently Kinetic doesn't use VLAN and all I needed was the PPPoE setting. I am now connected without their hardware. My router doesn't think I am connected though and can't monitor traffic. I am getting speed tests of 580-600 though.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 1.44.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 1.44.43 PM.png
    301.7 KB · Views: 130
Thank You @paulbates. Apparently Kinetic doesn't use VLAN and all I needed was the PPPoE setting. I am now connected without their hardware. My router doesn't think I am connected though and can't monitor traffic. I am getting speed tests of 580-600 though.
Zipptydoodah!
I've a PPPoE connect also, and sometimes on reboot I get that "disconnected" as well. Just reload the page Crtl-F5 and usually Bob's your uncle.
Does your provider offer Native IPv6? turn it on, if it's available to you.

You may want/need to input the MAC address of your provider's router/modem in the appropriate spot in the Asus' WAN setup page.

Zipptydoodah!
I've a PPPoE connect also, and sometimes on reboot I get that "disconnected" as well. Just reload the page Crtl-F5 and usually Bob's your uncle.
Does your provider offer Native IPv6? turn it on, if it's available to you.

You may want/need to input the MAC address of your provider's router/modem in the appropriate spot in the Asus' WAN setup page.
Awesome working good for me now. I will check on the IPv6. I guess I will hook up the provider router to get the Mac address. It wasn't even hooked up for 12 hours before I was getting rid of it. Never even logged into it. You guys are awesome. Thanks for helping me out. Any other tips?

You may refer to Merlin post if your internet report disconnected:

Awesome working good for me now. I will check on the IPv6. I guess I will hook up the provider router to get the Mac address. It wasn't even hooked up for 12 hours before I was getting rid of it. Never even logged into it. You guys are awesome. Thanks for helping me out. Any other tips?
there's usually a sticker on the side/bottom that will show you the MAC...usually no need to power it up