What's new

New router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

it's just the separation i want as everything is working good but devices are choosing 2.4 over 5 and there's nothing I can do to force them to use 5 instead of 2.4

You can't see telnet where? On your Orbi or your computer?

Well, if you read the comments, it works for specific firmware versions only. Since we have no model number confirmation for your Orbi system, options to help you are limited. Common "solution" here on this forum is "get 2x RT-AX86U routers". This approach will cost you $500. I'm trying to help you save your money. You have to make some efforts, if you want to save your money.

Good. I see other suggestions in comments how to achieve device separation.

If money is no object then get the Orbi RBK852/3 mesh system. Expensive AF but it delivers unmatched performance.

I know that the AX86U is hyped and recommended in these forums but EVERY Asus router I’ve tried is terrible with IoT devices. I even tried (and initially liked the AXE11000) but it started to disconnect devices after a week’s use.

Splurged on the Orbi RBK852 and it’s running flawlessly. Yes the settings is barebones compared to Asus routers but this thing is literally plug n play and works right out of the box.

I’m streaming multiple (5) 4K devices simultaneously and have 35+ devices connected and I’m ALWAYS getting 15% faster speeds than on my ISP plan. Never had this with any previous Asus, Netgear, Linksys or Amplifi Alien routers I’ve owned in the past.

In addition the Netgear Armor security feature works great. No slowdown or sluggishness like with Trend Micro AiProtection (junk) on the Asus routers. Just my opinion.

If money is no object then get the Orbi RBK852/3 mesh system. Expensive AF but it delivers unmatched performance.

I know that the AX86U is hyped and recommended in these forums but EVERY Asus router I’ve tried is terrible with IoT devices. I even tried (and initially liked the AXE11000) but it started to disconnect devices after a week’s use.

Splurged on the Orbi RBK852 and it’s running flawlessly. Yes the settings is barebones compared to Asus routers but this thing is literally plug n play and works right out of the box.

I’m streaming multiple (5) 4K devices simultaneously and have 35+ devices connected and I’m ALWAYS getting 15% faster speeds than on my ISP plan. Never had this with any previous Asus, Netgear, Linksys or Amplifi Alien routers I’ve owned in the past.

In addition the Netgear Armor security feature works great. No slowdown or sluggishness like with Trend Micro AiProtection (junk) on the Asus routers. Just my opinion.
would the pro SXK80 be just as good for the extra £10 so I could separate the radios

I don't see separate SSIDs option mentioned in Netgear SXK80 User Manual.

sorry for the delayed reply
SharedScreenshot.jpg

I don’t know what network separation means on this page. There is nothing in the User Manual, Settings. Better call and ask before you buy it.

sorry for the delayed update, i contacted netgear and they confirmed that 2.4 and 5 can be separated on vlan 2, 1 last question, this or asus mesh

Orbi is the "easy button" solution. Asus if you want to tinker with your system with multiple options.

Most folks around will recommend you 2x RT-AX86U routers in wired AiMesh, if you can run a wire between the routers. I would say stay with Orbi, if you are happy with the previous model and never needed to tinker with it. Asuswrt and AiMesh are in beta stage, you may have to wait for Asus to fix some things. You have to create this so called "mesh" with two stand-alone routers. Orbi is a Router + Satellite system by design with dedicated wireless backhaul channel. In my own experience, RBK50 works better than AiMesh.

Whatever fits your needs and budget better. Good luck.