What's new

New router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brads27

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking to buy a new router.I have 1gig broadband from virgin and a WiFi 6 enabled laptop. It's only a2 up 2 down house.I would like to try and put Merlin on my new router but not sure if I can do it, also a VPN. What do you recommend I should go for.

It's given me something to think about. Not sure I understand it all, I'm not that clued in on technology, not a total novice.i was looking at zen WiFi routers. So will see what happens on Black Friday.

@Brads27

Keep it simple. What do you want to get out of a new "router" ? What do you use the internet for? Do you need to drop $500 on a router when a cheap $100 option exists? Do you just need to add an AP for better WIFI instead of a router?

@Brads27

Keep it simple. What do you want to get out of a new "router" ? What do you use the internet for? Do you need to drop $500 on a router when a cheap $100 option exists? Do you just need to add an AP for better WIFI instead of a router?
I mainly use the internet for streaming and my son as a playstation.

I mainly use the internet for streaming and my son as a playstation.
Ok, so, that should be easy to accomplish.

If the PS wired or wireless? Is it hooked up to the TV in the same room? Does the TV have an Ethernet port or only WIFI?

Ok, so, that should be easy to accomplish.

If the PS wired or wireless? Is it hooked up to thwifi e TV in the same room? Does the TV have an Ethernet port or only WIFI?
It's WiFi in a different room upstairs.Tv is WiFi as well.As far as I know.

My last router was an AX88U, out just stopped working so it was still under warranty so I got my money back.

Ok, so, if you have WIFI off the ISP device already you could simply extend a cable within your comfort zone to add an AP covering the other area or have the ISP move the location of the router to a more central location to provide better coverage.

The other non-preferred option would be getting some nodes / mesh and suffer the loss of bandwidth and potential issues with them.

I don't mind spending the money,I don't go out that much anymore.I like the Rog router and the zen mesh, not the very expensive one.

AX88U in my experience has better range than AX86U. Get the newer GT-AX6000 as suggested already.Yes I probably will or the AX 11000,e way I look at it, I got £300 refund so just to that up and I'll have a new router .

The hardware model AX82U (CPU, Flash, RAM, radio chip) is identical to AX58U.
The only difference is the housing design.

The hardware model AX82U (CPU, Flash, RAM, radio chip) is identical to AX58U.
The only difference is the housing design.

The only thing I noticed is that all the variants use different amplifiers so performance may still vary outside of basic tolerances.