What's new

New RT-AX88U - No WAN 4 Days Later

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Last week lightning killed the WAN ports on my modem and wireless router. Got the modem replaced and ordered up a nice, new WiFi 6 AX6000 ASUS RT-AX88U. At $340 it was significantly more than my old $150 TP-Link AC2300, but it seemed to make sense to upgrade now and "future proof" if I'm going to be spending the money on a new router. I am looking into streaming online gaming as an additional revenue stream, so the ASUS seemed to make sense, plus it had a smaller form factor compared to the Netgear AX8.

I'm a "tech guy" that has built computers, websites, setup servers, and home networks with open-source firmware etc. over the years. However, the older I get the less that all appeals to me, I just want stuff to work. My setup is simple. I live alone in an apartment as an internet-only cordcutting Charter customer. I have the modem they provide and use my own wireless router. PC is wired and a handful of devices are wireless.

After 4 days and $340, connection suddenly cuts out in the middle of a gaming session, WAN light goes solid red and the admin panel says, "Your ISP's DHCP does not function correctly". I landed here and researched everything I could and tried nearly everything I can find. Newest stock firmware, GUI factory reset, manual factory reset, NVRAM erase, M&M, Sanitization, power cycles, settings changes etc. (BIG thanks to some of the power users here for their detailed guides and FAQs--you are the heroes we need, but don't deserve!)

If I plug my modem directly in my PC, everything works just fine. No issue with the ISP at all.

Countless users seem to be having these same issues with various ASUS models on both the Merlin and stock firmware. Frankly, the amount of issues people have with the ASUS routers is astounding. My dad (also a "tech guy") fought with various ASUS models until he finally just went with the AX8 from Netgear and says he couldn't be happier.

The thing I liked most about my TP-Link was how it worked. I plugged it in and it worked. At this point I'm thinking about just returning the router and going with something more trusted like a unit from UbiquiFi as I don't have interest in spending my time constantly trying to get my network to work with custom firmware and scripts. I just want my money to result in a high quality, working router so I can live my life.

Any ideas?

Do it.

Hello there,

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039082
I tried that and still no good!! PC world has ordered me another one. They initially said I have no rights as it is under a year old and have to accept it being broken. Then their manager said I have to have a store credit note. I refused by stating it is under a year old and the warranty is with you and not with Asus.

Hello WaqarUK, It's my recent experience that so far the AX86U has been one of the most reliable models of router I have ever used (matching and even surpassing the reliability of one of my previous favorites.. the older Asus AC68 series). I have a total of four AX86Us running 24/7 in different locations using different ISP modems and different ISPs (cable, fiber and DSL type)...going on for months now with zero problems with any of them... and the Wifi on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz has been rock solid. Good luck with your replacement. I hope it solves the issues you have been experiencing.

Last edited:
Hello,

I was using my Asus WiFi N for so many years until they stopped firmware updates. It was working fine 24/7 with no problems. But I had to retire it. So got a TP -Link AC router, unfortunately every few days it needed to re boot, even after going through to their tech support in China could not help me. So I wanted a router that was going to be the latest WiFi standard and therefore supported for the near future. I hopefully, will get a new replacement from PC world, but knowing them they will delay it as it took 24 days to get one to their store last time!! I like Asus routers and that is why I bought the RT-AX 88U which worked well until the WAN failed. It gave me full speed across my house as I am on Virgin Media 100 M-bit cable internet. I cannot afford to take time off as I am a front line NHS staff member in the UK.

WarqarUK, It sounds like PC World needs to pull through and get you a new replacement ASAP. Just put some competitive pressure on them and tell them that Amazon would have cross shipped a new replacement router for you in two days. You should be good to go when the replacement arrives.

Hello WaqarUK, It's my recent experience that so far the AX86U has been one of the most reliable models of router I have ever used (matching and even surpassing the reliability of one of my previous favorites.. the older Asus AC68 series). I have a total of four AX86Us running 24/7 in different locations using different ISP modems and different ISPs (cable, fiber and DSL type)...going on for months now with zero problems with any of them... and the Wifi on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz has been rock solid. Good luck with your replacement. I hope it solves the issues you have been experiencing.

out of curiosity do you have a vpn client set up on any of them with ai trend micro and adaptive qos enabled?

out of curiosity do you have a vpn client set up on any of them with ai trend micro and adaptive qos enabled?
No. All the routers are configured with the default set up and Smart Connect Wifi OFF, no VPN or Ai TM or QoS (I let the router auto handle it). I like to configure for simplicity, low latency and required legacy Wifi device support. I do have dual WAN with auto fail back enabled on one of the routers.

Last edited:
No. All the routers are configured with the default set up and Smart Connect Wifi OFF, no VPN or Ai TM or QoS (I let the router auto handle it). I like to configure for simplicity, low latency and required legacy Wifi device support. I do have dual WAN with auto fail back enabled on one of the routers.

understandable.

I will use the Amazon idea.
Yes I used " ai trend micro " but no: VPN or adaptive qos enabled.
Wit these these settings it worked before.

Good morning from London,

I just got a refund!! Should I order a RTAX88U now form Amazon UK or wait until the new year?

Good morning from London,

I just got a refund!! Should I order a RTAX88U now form Amazon UK or wait until the new year?

NICE! Personally I bought a refurbished ax58u which is pretty rock solid after returning my ac86u. I don't really need the extra vpn bandwidth. And if you're a serious gamer I wouldn't even recommend using a vpn for gaming. You get better pings and reliability with your isp connection and you should not game wireless. ethernet only.

I have all features of the ax58u router enabled, stock firmware, smart connect off. lots of guest networks, mac filtering, 30 wireless devices connected. Its as stable as my ac66u_b1 but with better wireless range and wifi 6 for a couple devices, though the wifi 6 is pretty meaningless even if you have some wifi 6 devices.

If VPN is a major concern for you. the ax58u does 50MBs. AX88u will do 150. But Even 30MBs on my ac66u_b1 with a openvpn client on merlin firmware was enough for the 20 iot devices I had connected to it including echos, blinks and rings. 10MBs would be good enough for that lol. with 50MBS you can add a smart tv at 4k/hdr and assume no bandwidth issues at all. I personally think the ax88u and ax86u are severely overpriced and very buggy from all the forums I've read. I don't trust them any more then the ac86u. Asus seems to take its time with the ax58u firmware and its reported less recent security vulnerabilities. I think thats a good thing.

but you can always test out the ax88u and ax86u from amazon and then return them. thats the great thing about being an amazon prime member lol.

Last edited:
I buy 2 routers for every one I need and return one after I get set up. That way if I get a defective one - currently about 25% - I’m still in business. I also keep an older router on hand as a spare.

Well, I cannot afford to spend that much money on buying two routers!! The NHS pays not much for all our public service.
I have just ordered a Asus RT-AX 88U from Amazon UK. Paid for next day delivery as VM Superhub 3 is giving me such poor WiFi throughput.
I use Nord VPN on my computers and get about 10 MB's per second through Nord. My 100 Mbit maxes out at about 112 Mbits (14Mbits).
I will update the firmware within the Asus GUI.
Hopefully it goes all well.
PC world, I actually got through to a customer services person who did a proper job. She told me that my local branch did not even order a replacement and I asked them for a refund which she put through as I was lied to so many times. Never will I and my friends will ever buy anything else from PC world. A lot of my electronics come from Richer Sounds and John Lewis. Both are diametrically the outright opposite of PCW. I have used their customer services a few times and everything was sorted out immediately with no fuss.

Well, I cannot afford to spend that much money on buying two routers!! The NHS pays not much for all our public service.
I have just ordered a Asus RT-AX 88U from Amazon UK. Paid for next day delivery as VM Superhub 3 is giving me such poor WiFi throughput.
I use Nord VPN on my computers and get about 10 MB's per second through Nord. My 100 Mbit maxes out at about 112 Mbits (14Mbits).
I will update the firmware within the Asus GUI.
Hopefully it goes all well.
PC world, I actually got through to a customer services person who did a proper job. She told me that my local branch did not even order a replacement and I asked them for a refund which she put through as I was lied to so many times. Never will I and my friends will ever buy anything else from PC world. A lot of my electronics come from Richer Sounds and John Lewis. Both are diametrically the outright opposite of PCW. I have used their customer services a few times and everything was sorted out immediately with no fuss.

Nice. you probably could of got two ax58u's for the price of an ax88u though. Amazon sells refurbished ones and you can still do the asurion plans with those since they certified by them. I felt the ax88u and ax86u way overpriced and overkill for my needs. In your case I would of abandoned it due to the problems you had. I would of just stuck with my ac66u_b1 if I didn't see the ax58u low priced and if I didn't already try it out before I tried out the ac86u which I returned for similar reasons as you in under a month. (although amazon gave 90 day return window) I love amazon lol.

I buy 2 routers for every one I need and return one after I get set up. That way if I get a defective one - currently about 25% - I’m still in business. I also keep an older router on hand as a spare.
I carefully read the early reviews before buying a router and if I like it I buy up to four more for personal and business use at other locations. I have never had to return a router I bought online or in a store... not once. Call me lucky. I currently have at least ten older unused working Asus routers that I will need to get rid of at some point.

Last edited:
Your lucky nothing went wrong. I have spoken to Amazon UK and the router will be arriving tomorrow. I just want to set it up and have a few weeks off work because I went over my scheduled work allowance.
Being utterly exhausted down to covid patients are sadly seen more admissions in ITU.

OK,

just got it delivered yesterday from Amazon UK. Used 192.168.50.1 to get to the web wizard interface. It said that I need to update the firmware which went smoothly. Put in my long 20 plus length non dictionary WiFi key into 2.4 & 5 GHz sections. I then signed into the Web GUI with the new log in credentials that I created before hand from the web wizard interface. Used the Trend micro and changed the firewall settings to reject anything in / out. It delivers at above full speed of about 112 Mbits across my two story house from multiple phones and windows computers. so far so good.

I still haven't taken mine out of the box and won't until I move allowing the ac88u to continue its duties.

25% of the routers you purchase turn out to be defective?!!

That is insane!