What's new

New to this forum. Major problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

And not have them connect to the internet??

Keep the ip cam on your regular network as a canary.

Trying to isolate parts of the network to narrow the troubleshooting of the “ black box”. If the HDHR is on an antenna, it doesn’t require internet access. Same for the Samsung TV. Both of mine are blocked at my firewall.

I don’t remember if the dlna protocol is a broadcast “i am here” to the subnet or if it is a poll and response protocol.

Last edited:
Keep the ip cam on your regular network as a canary.

Trying to isolate parts of the network to narrow the troubleshooting of the “ black box”. If the HDHR is on an antenna, it doesn’t require internet access. Same for the Samsung TV. Both of mine are blocked at my firewall.

I don’t remember if the dlna protocol is a broadcast “i am here” to the subnet or if it is a poll and response protocol.
It has been 2 nights since the IP cam has dropped off the network and 4 nights for the HDHR tuner.

This is really a waiting game, every time I **think** I found the culprit, Something drops off the network again, proving that theory wrong. So far, I again, **think** I have ruled out almost everything on my network, EXCEPT my Samsung 4K TV, that is connected to my network via Ethernet. I did have my Ethernet cable disconnected from my TV for awhile, and I think it was during the time that I went a few days without any of my devices dropping off the network, but not positive.

Also, my Hikvision NVR is connected to my network, don't remember if I have ever removed it from my network,

Four of my IP cams NEVER drop off the network and I have another SiliconDust tuner, the Extend, and it NEVER drops off the network either.

just a wild thought - and i don't know how to figure it out, but i wonder if one of your IOT devices, possibly the TV, got hacked.

I have made SOME progress, two or three weeks ago, those devices were dropping off the network EVERY night, and occasionally during the day.

What puzzles me, is why only certain of my devices drop off the network. My Linux based boxes used to drop off every night along with my IP cam and TV tuner. They have been disconnected from the network for at least two or three weeks.

I still have my Leviton WiFi enabled smart switch connected to the internet........ Not sure how to shut it off without removing power from it.

I am still grasping at straws for what is causing some of my devices to drop off my network, in the last few weeks. I just go a brochure in the mail today from DTE Energy, my electricity supplier. It said "We recently completed equipment upgrades to provide you with more reliable electricity."

"Customers in areas where we have completed similar work are already noticing improvements in power quality." It goes on to say to call this number for details.

I called and left a message for them to call me back, so they can tell me what they did, and when and how they did it. As, I stated earlier, I am a retired industrial electrician, so I have dealt with millivolts all the way up to 13k volts. I know, how bad the electricity is, as far as spikes and ripples, and what havoc it can cause.

yeah, i was going to suggest possibly a flakey wall wart AC/DC converter, but that should have stayed with the device as you moved things off the network.

all of my networking gear is on UPS with filtering.

yeah, i was going to suggest possibly a flakey wall wart AC/DC converter, but that should have stayed with the device as you moved things off the network.

all of my networking gear is on UPS with filtering.

I have thought about UPS's, but really did not want that expense AND more devices.... lol

My IP cam is in the basement and my TV tuner is upstairs, so different circuits. Only the main, would be common.

Here is the log that I just pulled, you will have explain how to do a tcpdump..... And I appreciate all the help... thanks.

That's not useful... syslog can be a bit interesting...

BTW - the Green Ethernet thing - don't worry about that one...

Getting under the hood, and this will take some experience... dhcp is broadcast, so any linux box will do to do some capturing...

Code:
sudo tcpdump -i <interface> -e -n -v port 67 or port 68 > test.txt

And you should see something like this back... one for each client if the dhcp lease is short enough... and if you have multiple DHCP servers on the same subnet, study will show it up...

Code:
$ sudo tcpdump -i eth0 -e -n -v port 67 or port 68
tcpdump: listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 262144 bytes
18:03:38.743822 02:81:ca:4e:a6:53 > ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, ethertype IPv4 (0x0800), length 342: (tos 0x10, ttl 128, id 0, offset 0, flags [none], proto UDP (17), length 328)
    0.0.0.0.68 > 255.255.255.255.67: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 02:81:ca:4e:a6:53, length 300, xid 0x172b3805, Flags [none]
      Client-Ethernet-Address 02:81:ca:4e:a6:53
      Vendor-rfc1048 Extensions
        Magic Cookie 0x63825363
        DHCP-Message Option 53, length 1: Request
        Requested-IP Option 50, length 4: 192.168.1.116
        Hostname Option 12, length 4: "nano"
        Parameter-Request Option 55, length 16: 
          Subnet-Mask, BR, Time-Zone, Default-Gateway
          Domain-Name, Domain-Name-Server, Option 119, Hostname
          Netbios-Name-Server, Netbios-Scope, MTU, Classless-Static-Route
          NTP, Classless-Static-Route-Microsoft, Static-Route, Option 252

That would be something useful... but if you don't have the mad-skills to make that happen, I understand...

Last edited:
That's not useful... syslog can be a bit interesting...

BTW - the Green Ethernet thing - don't worry about that one...

Getting under the hood, and this will take some experience... dhcp is broadcast, so any linux box will do to do some capturing...

Code:
sudo tcpdump -i <interface> -e -n -v port 67 or port 68 > test.txt

That would be something useful... but if you don't have the mad-skills to make that happen, I understand...
If I run that command on one of my Linux boxes, what will it tell me about my network?

I guess it has been about 5 days now, that my IP cam and TV tuner have not dropped off the network. I will wait a couple more days and start adding my devices back into my system and put my Asus router back into service.

At this point, I still don't know what is the cause of my devices dropping off my network......

I am still grasping at straws for what is causing some of my devices to drop off my network, in the last few weeks. I just go a brochure in the mail today from DTE Energy, my electricity supplier. It said "We recently completed equipment upgrades to provide you with more reliable electricity."

"Customers in areas where we have completed similar work are already noticing improvements in power quality." It goes on to say to call this number for details.

Did they upgrade your meter?

Some of the smart meters use Zigbee, which can impact Ch6 and Ch9 on 2.4GHz... they use Zigbee to build a mesh with the other nearby meters...

https://www.smartdatacollective.com/smart-meters-kill-wifi-not-people/

Did they upgrade your meter?

Some of the smart meters use Zigbee, which can impact Ch6 and Ch9 on 2.4GHz... they use Zigbee to build a mesh with the other nearby meters...

https://www.smartdatacollective.com/smart-meters-kill-wifi-not-people/
It looks like a fairly new meter, but I have no idea when they would have replaced it. I am sure they would have notified me prior to replacing it, so I could power off all my devices before they killed the power to replace the meter.

It is strange, that they sent me this card last Friday, and it has been about a week since the last time my devices dropped off the network. But it is still too early to tell if my problem is solved. I still have have NOT put a lot of my devices back online. I am still waiting to put my Asus router back online.

Here an image of the card they sent me last Friday....... I left a message for them last friday to call me and let me know what they did. Perhaps they have a line analyzer that they can put on my line to check for spikes and sags.....

1008181320.jpg
1008181320a.jpg