What's new

NextDNS CLI on Asus stock?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mr Tvardovsky

Regular Contributor
Dear SNB Community,

I am sorry if I am asking this question in a wrong place. But since @RMerlin's firmware is a part of the context, maybe it makes some sense.

I am a happy user of NextDNS CLI on my main RT-AC86U running 386.3_2. I am wondering if it would be possible to install it this way https://github.com/nextdns/nextdns/wiki/AsusWRT-Merlin on ASUS stock firmware with SSH access enabled?

Stock firmware lacks the Merlin ability to customize dnsmasq.conf in order to point it to the Nextdns CLI daemon.

Thank you very much, it's clear.

Then I understand the only way to use encrypted NextDNS on (the latest) stock is to configure it as DoT. I read some users had issues with it - anybody running NextDNS this way and happy?

I've been using a manual + NextDNS DOT setup since we all started talking about NextDNS. I do not run the NextDNS client. Yes, I changed dnsmasq.conf to make it play nice with others various guidance over the past 2 years. I'm not sure I understand what all the settings actually perform, so once I got it working, I left it alone. YMMV.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!