What's new

No, SNB is not an "Attack Page"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
Firefox users may be seeing a page reporting that SmallNetBuilder is a "reported attack page" when trying to access the forums or main site.

This appears to be caused by SNB getting flagged in Google's database.

We have had a few incidents of infected ads coming through our ad partners in the past month and this probably did it.

I am trying to get this flag removed by Stopbadware.org.

The site is clean and you will have no problems accessing it.
If the warning is getting annoying, you can go to FF's Tools>Options>Security tab and uncheck the "Block reported attack sites" box.

Sorry for the hassle.

Happening in Chrome as well. :(
Thanks for the report. Not surprising, since it is likely that it is Google's database, not Stopbadware.org that is causing the flag. Stopbadware.org appears to be not working, even though links on the Google warning page still point there.

I saw that and it didn't make any sense. What defines a "network"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_system_(Internet)

Good network operators respond to abuse reports and do not cater to users engaging in illicit activities.
In a perfect world, bad ones would be shunned/depeered. McColo is a notable instance of this actually happening.
Your site being blacklisted is a method of encouraging compliance as customers that switch providers exert financial pressure on bad network operators. How the blacklist impacts your site isn't really important.

Thanks for the link with the network explanation.

The problem is not necessarily with the host if the problem is poisoned ads and the host is not hosting the adserver(s).

Anyway, I've flagged my host and submitted to Google Webmaster tools.

Yup, also blacklisted on the military NMCI network using IE8.:confused:

Thanks for the link with the network explanation.

The problem is not necessarily with the host if the problem is poisoned ads and the host is not hosting the adserver(s).

Anyway, I've flagged my host and submitted to Google Webmaster tools.

Thanks for communicating this. Transparency is the key to a better web.

I just want to say that it may be an opportunity to switch ad partners. This type of abuse needs to be dealt with in real dollars, not meaningless complaints. Until ad agencies do a better job, this is exactly what you do not want to expose your customers to.

I advocate a "1 strike you're out" policy. If there is a way, please consider it. Or "advertising" clearly who was the cause of the issue (once identified). Shame will affect dollars too.

Thanks for providing this great site, forum & community. I have been coming here for years and wish I could donate or something. Maybe an ad-free version? ;)

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Just got this today :

Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for smallnetbuilder.com

What is the current listing status for smallnetbuilder.com?
Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 2 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 175 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 11 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2013-07-11, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2013-07-11.
Malicious software is hosted on 2 domain(s), including tyfdyzhioj.dyndns-remote.com/, mnuhacyqozxim.dyndns-home.com/.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including tgdaily.net/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS46433 (ADF01).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
Over the past 90 days, smallnetbuilder.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?
No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?
In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:
Return to the previous page.
If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.

Seems to have been cleared up in Chrome now (at least for me), but is still showing up for Google searches.

Seems to have been cleared up in Chrome now (at least for me), but is still showing up for Google searches.

Confirmed. I thought it gave me the warning from the search bar--but maybe I imagined it--or since the search bar is just a google search. But I definitely get the warning from the Google search.

Problem resolved

Google looks like it has removed the warning. Looks like it was some bad ads.

Attack Page as of July 11, 2013

Using FireFox 22. Received attack page notice several times. Notice gone on July 12. Required persistence to get past page on the 11 th.

Is there anything we need to clean from our PCs?
If you did not bypass the warning , no.
If you did and have antivirus software that watches your browser, no.

Otherwise you might want to do a full system AV scan as a precaution.

FYI, I bypassed the warning and did not get any block reports from Avast, which has blocked past problems of this type.

For several years, in Windows 7, I've used Microsoft's Security Essentials (MSE).

Free.

I rationalize that in terms of protecting the operating system and Windows PC, Microsoft has strong motive to keep the evil-doers out.

Just shows how crap these blocks are if they can't even give the details in their blocking reports what exactly is being blocked and the reason for it.

No one would put up with AV software giving a report like this as it's no help to site owners like Tim or users.

Ridiculous , Sigh!.........