What's new

Noob addon install

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TrebleTA

Hi all,
So I'm new to router stuff but the basic ui setting up, I see a lot of you use addon for your asus merlin firmware, and I'm after some advice on how to do all this. My router is a DSL-AX82U and I'm useing windows.

So first off I'll need to be able to use SSH via Windows. What software for a noob would be best to start with?

Hi all,
So I'm new to router stuff but the basic ui setting up, I see a lot of you use addon for your asus merlin firmware, and I'm after some advice on how to do all this. My router is a DSL-AX82U and I'm useing windows.
Do you have Asus-Merlin or a fork of it installed to your DSL-AX82U? If not then using an add-on likely won't work.
So first off I'll need to be able to use SSH via Windows. What software for a noob would be best to start with?
Putty or WinSCP are common Windows SSH programs.

You need to enable SSH within the Asus-Merlin GUI before connecting to the router using an SSH program.

Thank you for the reply.
I have the lastest merlin fork gnuton firmware 386.5_2.
I will try putty, I will enable SSH, do I need to enable Jffs too for custom scripts, I was going to try skynet add-on, unless it's not advised for a beginner?

Last edited:
do I need to enable Jffs too for custom scripts, I was going to try skynet add-on, unless it's not advised for a beginner?
You will need to review the specific add-on and what it's requirements are. Generally one will have to enable JFFS and possibly use a USB flash drive for a swap file. Again, depends on the specific requirements of the add-on and if additional add-ons like Entware are required. The basic add-on scripts can be installed from amtm. Just SSH into the router and type: amtm

https://github.com/Adamm00/IPSet_ASUS
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/skynet-router-firewall-security-enhancements.16798/

The above is simply bad advice. Skynet works without issues, particularly with stock/default settings.

Thanks all. Also L&LD thanks for all your other posts on setting up the router.
I should be ok, I'm a old skool programmer.

To be fair you don't even need PuTTY. In Chrome or Edge, the "secure shell" extension provides just enough usability to get by. Hell, you can even create a terminal session using MS Power Shell.

For the sake of security, your first job should be to change the SSH port!

I should be ok, I'm a old skool programmer.

In this case look what Skynet is and what it does. You may find you don't need it. Read the threads around of blocked Microsoft servers, popular DNS servers, GitHub... when using default block lists. Get ready to take responsibility and appropriate actions when something stops working.

For the sake of security, your first job should be to change the SSH port!
That's not really a concern IMHO unless you're exposing it the the WAN (or using an easily guessable user name and password). If you think somebody already inside your LAN is going to spend days trying (and failing) to hack SSH you've got other problems. If you feel the need to change some ports I'd suggest the router's web interface would be a much better target.

Thank you all for the feedback.
Well the less I have to install on the pc, the better.
I'm using my DSL AX82U as a home network solo device, running 2 tv box 2 pc's 1 labtop 2 xbox 1 playstation and some voice assists phones etc, but yes always change the Default SSH port.
Skynet is a IP blocker. I use blocking software on the pc using a ipfilter and running from the router will help.

So I can use windows powershell, will google see what I come up with.

Skynet is a IP blocker.

If you have no open ports to Internet, Skynet is usable in limiting yourself only. The default firewall blocks all unsolicited connections anyway. Even if you do have open ports, the bad IP has to be present in blocklists. It may or may not be. When Skynet gets blocklist update containing your DNS server though, you lose Internet. It happened before with Google and Quad9 DNS servers. See how usable it is for you and if the potential benefit outweighs the inconvenience.

do I still need keep the usb inserted?

Yes. This is another point of possible failure. Your overall system reliability becomes equal to your USB stick reliability.

Hmm I was thinking it was all installed to the router, but think I'll ask.
Having to keep the usb connected sucks.

Some people use external USB enclosure with small SSD inside for extra reliability. USB sticks fail over time. Not the right media for frequent writes.

It needs swap file to work properly. Consumer routers have limited amount of RAM. Your router has 512MB RAM and >50% is taken by the system. If you use TrendMicro components, >80% will be taken after boot. If you have USB attached storage, the rest up to 98% is taken by buffers.

So what's the swap file? , I did see this on merlin settings.
At mo I have 170mb ram free, If I could of got more I would off, but for a DSL I was limited for choice, yet should of just got a Router.

I see, so it offloads memory to a swap file. Is it like a page file, when memory becomes full, then it will start constantly being written?
Also I have a old sandisk usb 2.0 stick that was made to use old windows 7 system fast boost. yet never used it.
Adding a external usb device would mean more cables, yet usb3 is self powered so would be just the 1, But what's cheep and recomend?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!