What's new

(NOOB) Definition of "minimal and manual configuration"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@machinist, Yes, I would still do what Asus calls a hard factory reset (and I call (the entire procedure) an M&M install).

Asus now recommends performing it via the WPS button method appropriate for your router. But I sometimes see the best results when the Reset button, WPS button, and GUI methods are all used (one after another) to get the router to a fully/100% good/known state.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

The latest version I've had the chance to record here is at the link below.

Last edited:
2. Use new ssid's with 8 characters and without any spaces, special characters, punctuation or smiley faces for all bands and radio's (most likely easier to do after the wizard completes for dual 5GHz band radio's capable routers). You can reuse the old passwords though.
Just curious to know why? Could this create issues if using the same?

Thanks

Just curious to know why? Could this create issues if using the same?

Thanks

I've seen this mentioned before, but I always use the same one. I think the idea is the clients may not reconnect properly if you've changed hardware, or if the settings aren't exactly the same, but all that requires is for you to "forget" and reconnect on the clients. But I've never even had to do that (granted I've been using the same hardware and settings for a few years).

My SSID is not 8 characters either

I have to re-connect few clients only on hardware change. My home network uses the same SSIDs for >10 years.

I'm asking because, since I did a factory default and set everything back with minimal configuration.
My router has CPU high for no reason. Even disconnecting all devices on wireless...
This was never an issue before.

If you have enabled TrendMicro component like AiProtection, the router will update the signatures and dance with the cores for some time.

If you have enabled TrendMicro component like AiProtection, the router will update the signatures and dance with the cores for some time.
Not enabled yet... kept to minimal config and also devices.
Trying to figure out an issue on 2.4Ghz were one of my blink cameras is not connection is not stable.
But since the Factory Reset... CPU is intermittently lagging. Latency to Ping goes from 2ms to over 300ms
Even disabled Diversion.

This is definitely not minimum configuration. You have custom scripts installed.
That was the only one... This is why planning on Factory Reset

I would check in ssh top first what's going on.

I would check in ssh top first what's going on.
I looked...but not sure what to look at...

Here's a capture.

1669004715907.png

I don't see anything using the CPU much. Why do you have https enabled on a home LAN? Encrypting your own data? I hope access to GUI is not open to WAN.

My setup is: ISP <-> ISP modem/router <-> AX88U
I have been in Double Nat since a few years never had issues
Only access via the ISP modem/router not through WAN

I think the HTTPS activated while using the Asus APP.
Thanks for noticing I'll bring it back to HTTP

You can leave it enabled if you want, but in my experience the GUI is slower and you have to install certificates to your browsers. Otherwise the connection will show as not secure. Asus app works with http only as well. No need of https when you control all the devices on the network. Just make sure Asus app didn't enable Web Access from WAN - check in Administration, System:

1669006874794.png

It's disabled! Just checked!

Do you still have high CPU use shown in Status?

Do you still have high CPU use shown in Status?
No all good... my wireless issue didn't happen since last 2h... I didn't change anything.
I'll take a look again on top next time the issue happen.
Thanks for the guidance

No all good... my wireless issue didn't happen since last 2h... I didn't change anything.
I'll take a look again on top next time the issue happen.
Thanks for the guidance

Sometimes after a firmware upgrade and/or factory reset, it will run slow and high CPU while everything gets settled in. Many of the instructions for doing a factory/nuclear reset and/or upgrading firmware from one major release to another say to wait 30-60 mins or until the CPU settles down, then proceed with other configs.

When waiting is needed RMerlin has instructions in changelog. Updating from 384.19 -> 386.1 is one example. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

When waiting is needed RMerlin has instructions in changelog. Updating from 384.19 -> 386.1 is one example. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

After any factory reset and/or upgrade my CPUs are active for a while, sometimes just a minute or two, sometimes up to 10. Not saying wait blindly for an hour every time but can't hurt to let things settle down.