What's new

Not Sure What I Need

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Niotic

New Around Here
I'm brand new to all this so cut me some slack. What I want is something I can connect to from a remote location to access my movies, pictures, music, etc. This would need to be accessible from my house or anywhere else on any computer with the right log on. Something power friendly but can stream 720p movies without much struggle. I would prefer it to be a DIY for financial reasons and since its more fun to build it with your own two hands. Is what I'm looking for a NAS or something else? Any input/suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Slingbox 500

If you want something simple that will bring all your video sources to wherever you are, look at what a Slingbox 500 will do.

It will connect to your router using Ethernet or WiFi, but IMHO Ethernet is always best.

You also will need a a good Internet connection at home if you want to watch your videos in 1080P. If you don't have a steady UPLOAD speed at home of at least 5 Mbps you won't get HD quality. You will also need at least the same download speed at the receiving end if you want to watch in HD. HD quality only matters if you are going to watch the Sling stream on a large screen. On a tablet or phone as little 700 - 800 Kbps download speed will get the job done.

Power consumption is probably 50 watts or less for the Slingbox 500. I can't tell you exactly as I have an older model.

You can stream 1080p without much struggle why stop with 720p media. Still cost wise you can get:

ESR600H (256MB of RAM, 600MHz CPU 800MB on Gigabit ports, 4x 5dBi ANT)
NSA325 (nas support up to 6TB plus has media server support)

This is what I use for WiFi and streaming HD content all over the house and into the outside patio.

I use WiFi Laptops, WiFi Netbook, WiFi Tablets, WiFi Network Media Players, WiFi Smart Phone, WiFi Wii, Wired HDHomeRun Dual tuners. I record 24/7 in HD send that media over to Windows 7 WiFi or Wired gear, also have other media streamed from Netflix, Amazon Prime Videos, Crackle TV an etc.

Sure there other ways to do all of this but, you want stable methods. Aother issue is how electric current is being managed through these devices. You want high power power strips not power strips that don't deliver.

streaming 1080 HD from your home out to you on the Intrenet.. not doable, usually. Data speeds too slow.

A utility NAS for remote and local access, I suggest you look at, and try demo websites for, Synology and QNAP.

You will need a fairly fast upload speed to transmit movies outside of your home. I would get it working in your home first and then you can figure out how much bandwidth you will need to go outside your home.

Thanks guys! The NSA325 looks nice, pretty small, simple and cheap. However, could I use an old PC as my server? Just purchase a new processor and upgrade the RAM, would that work? If not what motherboards would you suggest that are relatively affordable?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!