What's new

not sure where to ask but I am having big problems with my network and nas

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sparks

Occasional Visitor
I need some help big time.
I have a dlink 321 nas and when I plug the netgear 550 media server directly to it I get 55-70Mb thruput using the netgear network test.
I take both of these and plug them into a trendnet gigabit S8 switch and my transfers drop to 17-22Mb test and stuttering on the movies.
Last try was going to my gigabit router with both same thing 20-22Mb on the test and stuttering on all movies.

What is causing this and how can I fix it?

after hearing that there are problems with a gigabit switch I used an old linksys router 10/100 and getting 60-70Mb thruput on the netgear test.

I got post from 2 people that have different eq but no problems.
======================
I have the NeoTV550 and my unRAID server plugged into a TrendNet TEG-S80G switch and it works great.
8 port Airlink Gb switch > Neo550
======================

is there some big difference between the S8 and S80 switches?
There were other post saying that they were also having problems.
here is one.
Some mentioned GB switch could be the issue, buffer overrun, etc, I am also changing to MB types switches to see if it makes any difference.

I have cat 5E cable from nas to switch then cat 5 from switch to neo 500 since its a 10/100 port on the neo.
The nas was on auto I set it to giga to see if it made any difference but it did not.
If I am correct by reading the review on the NAS it says gigabit but it can't do it. so should I set it to 100 only?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!