What's new

Nothing working right

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

UrbanRogue

New Around Here
So I switched to Bell and recieved the HomeHub4000 modem. which did not get WIFI all over the house. I opted to get a set of Asus ZenWifi ET12 and an additional RT-AX88U for an AIMesh Node.

I have the wifi shut down on the Bell HH4000 and have the ET12 set up as PPPOE. If I do a speed test via the ET12 I am getting the 500+ up and down. however If I do a speed test via a Lan port I am getting 100 up and down at best. and wireless is even worse. Not sure what the issue is here.at over $1400 in Asus equipment I was hoping for much better. house is about 4500Sqft. The ET12 alone say covers 6000Sqft.

any help would be appreciated

This is basically the network topology.
network_topology.PNG

This is speed test through ET12
speed-through-router.PNG

This is speed test through ET12 Lan port
speed-through-router-port.PNG

This is speed test through Wifi
speed-through-wifi.PNG

If I do a speed test via the ET12 I am getting the 500+ up and down.

Built-in speed test is not accurate for fast ISP connections.

If I do a speed test via a Lan port I am getting 100 up and down at best

94Mbps indicates Fast Ethernet connection, not Gigabit. Check your cables.

The ET12 alone say covers 6000Sqft.

Advertisement only, "up to" in ideal conditions. Real life coverage is different and depends on multiple factors.

Are you sure the device you're testing the ethernet connection with is negotiating GigE? Check the Status tab under System Status on the Network Map page. I have a 100BaseT plugged into one of the LAN ports on the back of my ET-12 and I get the yellow indicator in the attached image.

You mentioned testing the wireless connection too; were you connected to the parent node ET-12, the child ET-12, or the RT-AX88U?

I'm not familiar with the Bell Home Hub, but a quick look at its specs shows that it can function as your firewall/router as well as offering PPOE pass-through (which you appear to be using). Have you tried simply using the ET-12 configured as an access point?

My house is ~4500 sf and I get great coverage throughout. I don't have any nearby neighbors either, which means the RF spectrum is pretty much unpolluted.

Attachments

• EthernetPortStatus.png
    EthernetPortStatus.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 42
over $1400 in Asus equipment

You have a switch and wires already and buying 3-band expensive routers designed for wireless AiMesh wasn't the best hardware choice. For the same amount or less you could go with SMB equipment with better reliability - Ubiquiti UniFi or TP-Link Omada as two good price/performance examples.

You have a switch and wires already and buying 3-band expensive routers designed for wireless AiMesh wasn't the best hardware choice. For the same amount or less you could go with SMB equipment with better reliability - Ubiquiti UniFi or TP-Link Omada as two good price/performance examples.
Which of those have 6GHz support and are readily available in North America?

What you are going to be using this 6GHz support for? A new Galaxy phone next year? I really enjoy future proofing ideas with home routers. People like never learned the fact it never works as planned. By the time we have 6GHz band in use this hardware is going to be obsolete. All of it has to be replaced.

Built-in speed test is not accurate for fast ISP connections.

94Mbps indicates Fast Ethernet connection, not Gigabit. Check your cables.

Advertisement only, "up to" in ideal conditions. Real life coverage is different and depends on multiple factors.
all cables are Cat6e cables and when I was on Rogers Cable internet everywhere was getting the 500MB down. so Im doubting its a cable issue
If I test speed via Bell Modem I get the 500+ up and down.. ya I realize 6000 sqft is advertised . just assuming that having 3 AiMesh devices (1 on each floor) I shouldnt have a wireless issue

What you are going to be using this 6GHz support for? A new Galaxy phone next year? I really enjoy future proofing ideas with home routers. People like never learned the fact it never works as planned. By the time we have 6GHz band in use this hardware is going to be obsolete. All of it has to be replaced.
My current phone (Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra), Tablet (Samsung Tab S8 Plus) and laptop (Lenovo P15 Gen 2) all support 6E. All are working well with my Asus ET-12.

Are you sure the device you're testing the ethernet connection with is negotiating GigE? Check the Status tab under System Status on the Network Map page. I have a 100BaseT plugged into one of the LAN ports on the back of my ET-12 and I get the yellow indicator in the attached image.

You mentioned testing the wireless connection too; were you connected to the parent node ET-12, the child ET-12, or the RT-AX88U?

I'm not familiar with the Bell Home Hub, but a quick look at its specs shows that it can function as your firewall/router as well as offering PPOE pass-through (which you appear to be using). Have you tried simply using the ET-12 configured as an access point?

My house is ~4500 sf and I get great coverage throughout. I don't have any nearby neighbors either, which means the RF spectrum is pretty much unpolluted.
This is what my Status page shows doesnt really have a color code thing going on
Problem with Bell and there implentation is they dont allow the HomeHub4000 to have a bridge mode. best I can do is set up an Advanced DMZ to get the ET12 to receive its own WAN IP from Bell.

Attachments

• network_ports.PNG
    network_ports.PNG
    4.1 KB · Views: 45
so Im doubting its a cable issue

When I see 94Mbps I know for sure it's Fast Ethernet connection.

My current phone (Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra), Tablet (Samsung Tab S8 Plus) and laptop (Lenovo P15 Gen 2) all support 6E

They will work in exactly the same way on 5GHz band. Don't even count phones/tablets. They have nothing to do with Gigabit speeds - perfectly happy with Wi-Fi 5 connection. Your investment in hardware returns close to nothing in performance. ET12 6GHz radio was intended for wireless backhaul.

updated firmware and can see color code now. both show green
Green from Bell to ET12 and
green from 2.5G to switch

Attachments

• network_ports1.PNG
    network_ports1.PNG
    3.8 KB · Views: 44
When I see 94Mbps I know for sure it's Fast Ethernet connection.

They will work in exactly the same way on 5GHz band. Don't even count phones/tablets. They have nothing to do with Gigabit speeds - perfectly happy with Wi-Fi 5 connection. Your investment in hardware returns close to nothing in performance. ET12 6GHz radio was intended for wireless backhaul.
I get that under 100MBS is thinking Fast Ehternet etc. but if im getting under 100 directly wired to the Main ET12 with a Cat6e cable Im a little confused how its only getting that speed.

As well im not concerned what I spent on what, etc.. Im more concerned with the issue at hand.

my old setup was a rogers Modem on a 500MB Internet package. with 3 Eeros around the house wired in to network. never experienced under 300 wired at any network jack.

As well im not concerned what I spent on what, etc.

In this case I would forget about consumer products and build a proper multi-AP Wi-Fi system. You have signed for a beta tester with this ET12 set. The other router AX88U is already 4-years old model (Oct 2018). Eero is mostly plug-and-play and works better than AiMesh, no surprise here.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here, other than move the goalposts. Have a nice day.

I get that under 100MBS is thinking Fast Ehternet etc. but if im getting under 100 directly wired to the Main ET12 with a Cat6e cable Im a little confused how its only getting that speed.

As well im not concerned what I spent on what, etc.. Im more concerned with the issue at hand.

my old setup was a rogers Modem on a 500MB Internet package. with 3 Eeros around the house wired in to network. never experienced under 300 wired at any network jack.
You mentioned bridge mode in another post. I'm not sure why you would need that ... can't the Bell function as a router, acting as your firewall and DHCP server and providing DNS resolution/cacheing for the ET-12 and child nodes running in AP mode? I have a SFF PC running OPNSense as my firewall/router (which is something I think the Bell should be able to do), and my ET-12 mesh is in AP mode. I get damn close to my full internet bandwidth regardless of how I'm connected ... ethernet, Wifi6 or 6E.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here

Trying to tell @UrbanRogue there are better hardware choices when you have a switch and wires already available. They may be able to return this overpriced ET12 and get something better instead. About using it as AP - waste. About using it as AP to VLAN capable firewall - total waste.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!