What's new

NTP not sync in RT68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I set that command in SSH session like this:
/tmp/home/root# date 03162021

and i see a log in router
Mar 16 20:21:10 crond[261]: time disparity of -72340 minutes detected

I can see router change date to March 16, but 2018
Fri Mar 16 20:21:04 DST 2018
include the HH and the MM /tmp/home/root# date 0316HHMM2021 << you want this information to be as accurate as possible

when you did >> /tmp/home/root# date 03162021 You set the Month 03, the Day 16, the Hour 20, the Minute 21, and did NOT set the YYYY so, the year stays 2018....

Do something like this: /tmp/home/root# date 031616352021 << March 16, 2021 4:35PM (1635HRS)

Remember, this is just a half-way hack.... gotta figure out how to get your router's NTP to update so you don't have to do this.

Last edited:
include the HH and the MM /tmp/home/root# date 0316HHMM2021 << you want this information to be as accurate as possible

when you did >> /tmp/home/root# date 03162021 You set the Month 03, the Day 16, the Hour 20, the Minute 21, and did NOT set the YYYY so, the year stays 2018....

Do something like this: /tmp/home/root# date 031616352021
Aaah ok, set date and hour and now router show correct date.
Tue Mar 16 16:35:00 DST 2021

Now my question is, when restart my router, date come back to May 2018?, i will set again command?

Aaah ok, set date and hour and now router show correct date.
Tue Mar 16 16:35:00 DST 2021

Now my question is, when restart my router, date come back to May 2018?, i will set again command?
Yes, unfortunately, date will likely go back to May 2018. :confused: Still gotta figure out why router doesn't do this on it's own. My router did the same thing, I fixed it accidently 1 1/2 years ago, and don't remember how I fixed it. (I might have taken a BIGGER hammer to it << Don't do that ;) )

Last edited:
Yes, unfortunately, date will likely go back to May 2018. :confused: Still gotta figure out why router doesn't do this on it's own. My router did the same thing, I fixed it accidently 1 1/2 years ago, and don't remember how I fixed it. (I might have taken a BIGGER hammer to it << Don't do that ;) )
Uuuum how strange, well, with your comment at least I know that I am not the only one with the problem.

Now, how recommendable would it be to update firmware to Merlin?

Uuuum how strange, well, with your comment at least I know that I am not the only one with the problem.

Now, how recommendable would it be to update firmware to Merlin?
I ONLY use Merlin. It is well made and has additional features. And has a lot of support by many members of snbforums.

@Pezhan Did you check with your ISP if they block inbound/outbound UDP port 123?
NTP sync happens on these ports and many ISP's for security reasons block such ports.

@Pezhan Did you check with your ISP if they block inbound/outbound UDP port 123?
NTP sync happens on these ports and many ISP's for security reasons block such ports.
@ColinTaylor Is it possible that the ntpd daemon isn't starting on his router? Where would the ntpd initialize? is there a way to manually type in the initialization string into an appropriate start up file?
That is normal. When you reboot the router the date will go back to May 5 which is the default date. Later, when the router connects to the internet it will set the correct date and time.

EDIT: Looks like the router's timezone database for Chile hasn't been updated since 2011 2018. Try using these settings:

View attachment 32050

@ColinTaylor Is it possible that the ntpd daemon isn't starting on his router? Where would the ntpd initialize? is there a way to manually type in the initialization string into an appropriate start up file?
I don't know how the NTP client works on stock Asus firmware. I know in recent Merlin releases it works completely differently than in the older releases (like John's firmware). In John's firmware you could issue the following command in SSH to see if it was working:
Code:
# ntpclient -h pool.ntp.org -s
setup_receive:: bind...
setup_transmit:: connect...

send packet OK!
Recvfrom pack_len= 48, incoming= 1500
call udp_handle
UDP_handle: 48
[ntpclient] set time to 1616092153.385652
#

On my RT-AC86U I imagine it would be

Code:
/usr/sbin/ntpd -c /opt/share/ntpmerlin.d/ntp.conf

but I don't know the differences between your model and mine. The location of ntp.conf might be different, if the directory layout is different.

If I recall correctly, there are four ways to run NTP on Asuswrt-Merlin:
  1. Firmware NTP client
  2. Firmware NTP server
  3. Add-on NTPMerlin NTP server
  4. Add-on NTPMerlin chrony server
I run chrony server.
By the way, no ISP would block NTP.

Hi guys.

Since a year my router cant sync hour by NTP server. I try with different NTP servers, different configs without results.

By default, router start with Sat, May 05 02:22:02 2018 date.

Router have Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.386_41634

I have exactly the same issue and firmware. My router also refuses to acknowledge I’m connected to the internet, even though I clearly am (and all other devices.) I don’t know why, but I feel like the problem is related to the wrong date.

I’m at a loss!

Found this thread on a Google search. After the time change today, I just logged in to the router to check if the DST was correct, and found that the date was set to May 25 2018. Using NTP on many devices on my LAN, all work without issue. Internet works without issue. I have the RT-AC68R and have been using it for at least a decade. NTP has always worked in the past on it... now it no longer works? I am guessing a recent firmware update broke it. I can try any NTP (either doman or direct IP) and it will not work. Have looked at and tried everything posted in this thread, nothing works. Date is stuck at May 2018. I seem to have the same problem as Pezhan. Apparently this has no solution. :(

Set the date manually via SSH. Will have to set it every time router is rebooted.

I just thought of something. I *did* have a recent change with my ISP... instead of one cable modem, I now have a separate router and modem from the ISP. The RT-AT68R connects to the ISP's router, then the ISP's router connects to the cable modem. The ISP insists that the previous "one cable modem" setup was actually the same, as it had a router and cable modem connected together in one box, and this is just two separate boxes but should work the same way. They were unclear as to why the boxes had to be separate now, other than it should provide faster speed. Obviously, NTP works fine and Internet works fine as it did before on all devices (except the Asus Router). Like Pezhan and Female, my Internet status also shows as "Disconnected" when it obviously isn't and works fine. This may have started when my ISP swapped out my single modem with the router/modem combo. (I can't remember for sure unfortunately.)

If anyone with the issues is still following this thread, could you post back and let us know your ISP and cable modem model and whether you have one or two boxes (separate modem and ISP router)?

Here's mine:

ISP: Charter/Spectrum

Cable from wall goes to: E31U2V1 Spectrum Modem

Internet ethernet from E31U2V1 goes to: Sagemcom F@ST 5280 Spectrum Router

Finally, Asus RT-AT68R router is connected to the LAN ethernet on back of Sagemcom_F@ST_5280.

I have a static IP. It's the exact same configuration I have been using for over a decade; it didn't change when Charter/Spectrum switched me to dual boxes:

Pinging anything including the NTP server that is configured works fine from the router:

I can't be sure if it's the dual box modem/router setup from the ISP that is causing a problem with the Asus router, or if it's some recent firmware update.

Again, it would be helpful if people posted their ISP as well as their equipment (one or two boxes) and their model numbers.

The Asus router does function fine with the wrong date. But it's not ideal.

Last edited:
If I SSH onto the router and run:

ntp -t -S /sbin/ntpd_synced -p pool.ntp.org

...nothing happens. It just sits there after I press enter doing nothing. I can't seem to break out of it, I just have to exit Putty. NTP just doesn't want to work for some reason.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!