What's new

ntpMerlin ntpMerlin - NTP Daemon for AsusWRT Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Came to this thread to ask a question regarding redirection and it looks like others have experienced problems here.

I have redirection set to enabled and I've noticed some clients in my network (usually Android TV) not configuring their internal clock properly from a cold boot.

I presume then the solution is to disable this feature and let the client use their own NTP servers? Is this down to some sort of incompatibility if the device has its own hard-coded NTP servers?

Came to this thread to ask a question regarding redirection and it looks like others have experienced problems here.

I have redirection set to enabled and I've noticed some clients in my network (usually Android TV) not configuring their internal clock properly from a cold boot.

I presume then the solution is to disable this feature and let the client use their own NTP servers? Is this down to some sort of incompatibility if the device has its own hard-coded NTP servers?
Do you have any kind of logs from the affected devices, specifically any errors when they try to sync ntp?

The devices in question appear to be running a sort of custom Android TV ROM and I'm not entirely sure I can get access to any logs without either:
a) Root access
b) Enabling 'developer options' + debugging

I'll try to see what I can find and I'll let you know if I spot anything that may be of use.

Turns out I can't get access to any logs, as the ROM is locked down. One thing I did spot though, after reading the statics report from diversion, that the device contacts cn.pool.ntp.org every time that it is booted. Diversion isn't blocking it, but perhaps by forcing NTP traffic through the router, the device fails to contact its own hard-coded NTP server and thus fails to update the clock.

This a minor inconvenience more than anything. I wouldn't expect you to fix this, perhaps just something to mention in case anyone else had noticed the same problem.

I have not used redirection in a long time. At one point I had noticed that it was not working and did not feel comfortable enough with how it works in order to pursue it.
thats a shame i think its not working for me at the moment also for me

I'd need to see logs to see if the redirect is failing/why ntp doesn't sync for those devices. No such issues on any devices in my house using the redirection.
i can see if i can fish the logs from the router, since i cant get any for the amplfi sadly.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is a stupid question but there is a "Enable local NTP server" option already available in the system menu, what's the difference between that and this - other than the stats page (which is nice).

@seagull60, not much of a difference really.

However, there are many more options available (or is 'exposed' the better term here?) in the ntpMerlin version. I'm thinking about the options and the up to 4 NTP servers you can specify in the config file.

The graphs are not just pretty either! They each convey a thousand words with a mere glance. :)

Asuswrt-Merlin comes with Busybox ntp daemon. Busybox is a binary containing stripped down versions of common tools. Devices with modest hardware like routers benefit by the reduced requirements of Busybox.

ntpMerlin uses the full ntp daemon that is available via entware. Jack Yaz added features like NTP client redirection and graphs.

If this does not mean anything to you, then the Busybox ntpd is likely sufficient for your needs.

If you have been using ntpd on other platforms for several years, then the entware ntpd will be more familiar to you.

v2.2.3 is now available
Please run option u a second time after updating, and then reboot if you are seeing multiple/missing tabs
Changelog:
Code:
WebUI improvements
Fixes tab duplication when updating in future

So trying to uninstall NTP merlin to do a reinstall of it i'm getting this on reinstall. I didn't clear the previous config files.

Looks like I will be forced to reboot.

a reboot didn't solve the issue.

Last edited:
So trying to uninstall NTP merlin to do a reinstall of it i'm getting this on reinstall. I didn't clear the previous config files.

Looks like I will be forced to reboot.

a reboot didn't solve the issue.
The weird thing is that despite I removed ntpMerlin, rebooted the router (which got rid of the duplicated tabs from the gui) and also received that message about unsupported fw version (when I tried to reinstall it), I still had ntpMerlin installed in amtm, and I was able to uninstall it again (perhaps I had two installed?)

i'm able to install it back now but its missing from Webgui and same with Uidivstats also.

Both reinstalled but won't show up in Webgui

Do you have the new Addons bottom under Network tools on the left hand menu?

Yes

Ahh I see it there now.

Is this going to be the new location for the add ons instead of tools?