What's new

ntpMerlin ntpMerlin v3.x

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

1. No, that is the firmware NTP server which is different from ntpMerlin NTP server or ntpMerlin chrony server
  2. Chrony
  3. I don't know, have you? What is the output of the following three commands?
Code:
chronyc tracking
chronyc sources
chronyc sourcestats

Reference ID : 330FBFEF (flightplandatabase.com)
Stratum : 3
Ref time (UTC) : Wed Mar 24 10:00:52 2021
System time : 0.000535814 seconds slow of NTP time
Last offset : +0.000118615 seconds
RMS offset : 0.000782381 seconds
Frequency : 6.347 ppm fast
Residual freq : +0.001 ppm
Skew : 0.096 ppm
Root delay : 0.045935784 seconds
Root dispersion : 0.020177199 seconds
Update interval : 259.8 seconds
Leap status : Normal

MS Name/IP address Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
===============================================================================
^+ ntp0.dillydally.fr 2 9 377 311 +2553us[+2553us] +/- 58ms
^+ ns2.pulsation.fr 2 10 377 71 -3257us[-3257us] +/- 66ms
^* flightplandatabase.com 2 8 377 625 -3189us[-3070us] +/- 48ms
^+ 51-15-175-180.rev.poneyt> 2 10 377 377 -5154us[-5154us] +/- 57ms

Name/IP Address NP NR Span Frequency Freq Skew Offset Std Dev
==============================================================================
ntp0.dillydally.fr 17 8 99m -0.233 2.154 -1763us 4042us
ns2.pulsation.fr 25 15 134m +0.019 0.145 +802us 436us
flightplandatabase.com 19 12 133m +0.118 0.179 +2909us 564us
51-15-175-180.rev.poneyt> 33 18 155m -0.050 0.121 -836us 473us

For what it's worth I did see amtm showing an update available for entware today. I am afraid to do it now :) Maybe this weekend when I would have time to troubleshoot.

For what it's worth I did see amtm showing an update available for entware today. I am afraid to do it now :) Maybe this weekend when I would have time to troubleshoot.
Updated without any major issues.

First of all ... I stopped Unbound manager. Then I updated the Entware packages.

After that ... I went to Unbound Manager and I used option 1 (update unbound files and configuration). And Unbound started without any issue.

Just one thing I noticed ... Scribe was broken after updating Entware ... So the logs were not being updated. So I went to Scribe ... and I just used option "s" (show scribe status). And Scribe was repaired ... and all the logs started again to being updated.

Last edited:
v3.2.3 is now available
Changelog:

NEW: CLI menu shows URL for WebUI page
NEW: CLI commands for "about" and "help"
IMPROVED: Update function now includes a prompt rather than applying update
IMPROVED: Use colours in CLI menu to highlight settings
CHANGED: NTP timeout increased to 10 minutes
CHANGED: Redirect feature now blocks IPv4 and IPv6 NTP requests to the internet from clients that are trying to bypass the redirection

Updated without any major issues.

First of all ... I stopped Unbound manager. Then I updated the Entware packages.

After that ... I went to Unbound Manager and I used option 1 (update unbound files and configuration). And Unbound started without any issue.

Just one thing I noticed ... Scribe was broken after updating Entware ... So the logs were not being updated. So I went to Scribe ... and I just used option "s" (show scribe status). And Scribe was repaired ... and all the logs started again to being updated.
Thanks for the tips! I updated and everything is good. I'm not sure if I needed to, but I updated unbound and scribe as you suggested.

a few minor updates tonight, nothing noteworthy just niggles that are inconsistent with my other scripts and I don't want to have develop out of sync with stable for the time being

Hello. I am new to this forum and new to AsusWRT Merlin. I installed Asus Merlin onto my Asus RT-AC68U router. How do I enable and view the NTP graphical interface from my Windows 10 Laptop ? I am not too familiar with the unix commands that I would need to execute from within my Asus router, but I can access the router through Putty.

Note that I was successful on having my Windows 10 laptop using my routers IP as the NTP Server. My routers firmware version is 386.1_2.
NTP Merlin is 3.2.3 and is enabled using ntpd.

I do not see or cannot locate Merlin NTP in my Asus Routers Graphical Interface. If it is in an Add-ons section in my routers graphical interface, I do not see anywhere in my Asus Router where I would have an add-ons section.

Thank you everyone !!!

Last edited:
It was left in there because nts support was meant to be coming in the latest raft of entware updates. That's proven to not be the case :(
Real shame, I was checking if they have enabled it by now

I do not see or cannot locate Merlin NTP in my Asus Routers Graphical Interface. If it is in an Add-ons section in my routers graphical interface, I do not see anywhere in my Asus Router where I would have an add-ons section.
ntpmerlin is an Addon that needs to be installed separately.

In order to run ntpmerlin, you need to have Entware installed.
Entware needs a USB device to be permanently plugged into the router to add extra storage for installing extra software packages.
jffs scripts also need to be enabled to run these custom addons.

Add a USB device, SSH into the router and run the amtm script manager.
You can install entware and ntpmerlin from there.

I've been fiddling with chrony.conf but somehow managed to break chrony. When I tried restarting it, it endlessly came in a loop of dying and restarting. I have restored the default config for now (forgot to backup, my bad) but can someone help me out what I broke? I just changed the NTP-servers to local Stratum 1 servers and enabled some additional logging. Attached the config which breaks Chrony for some reason.

Edit: I've also added the chronyd.log.txt with a load of errors, but I don't have clue what I changed that caused these boatload of errors. Your assistance is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Marco

Attachments

• chrony.conf.bak.txt
    9.9 KB · Views: 101
  • chronyd.log.txt
    9.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I've been fiddling with chrony.conf but somehow managed to break chrony. When I tried restarting it, it endlessly came in a loop of dying and restarting. I have restored the default config for now (forgot to backup, my bad) but can someone help me out what I broke? I just changed the NTP-servers to local Stratum 1 servers and enabled some additional logging. Attached the config which breaks Chrony for some reason.

Edit: I've also added the chronyd.log.txt with a load of errors, but I don't have clue what I changed that caused these boatload of errors. Your assistance is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Marco
The log says it can not open the tracking log (permission denied).The next line says that, because it can't open the tracking log, it is a fatal error and exits.

Sorry, I can't quote the error in your log right now, I am using a we tiny phone and not good at it. Check your permissions on the log file shown in order error log as well as make sure it is the right path.

Best regards,
Marco

I think this in your config file is what is happening

logdir /opt/var/log/
log measurements statistics tracking

It should be

logdir /opt/var/log/
# log measurements statistics tracking

Reactions: MvW
I think this in your config file is what is happening

logdir /opt/var/log/

It should be

logdir /opt/var/log/
# log measurements statistics tracking

Does that imply that I can't use the additional logging functionality? Or can I just create the file, give it the right permissions and have another go at it?

Not sure, I am assuming that the second line was meant to be a comment and not a command parameter. If it is a command parameter, then I'd try to figure out why you are getting a permission denied when trying to access the file.

Reactions: MvW
The log says it can not open the tracking log (permission denied).The next line says that, because it can't open the tracking log, it is a fatal error and exits.

Sorry, I can't quote the error in your log right now, I am using a we tiny phone and not good at it. Check your permissions on the log file shown in order error log as well as make sure it is the right path.
I had a play with this a littler while ago and managed to get it working, but have disabled it since.

Rather than using
logdir /opt/var/log
I used
logdir /opt/var/log/chrony (permission 0755)

and

You need to create the matching log files in your selected directory, e.g.

measurements.log statistics.log and tracking.log (set permissions to 0666)

and it should be fine

Reference ID : 330FBFEF (flightplandatabase.com)
Stratum : 3
Ref time (UTC) : Wed Mar 24 10:00:52 2021
System time : 0.000535814 seconds slow of NTP time
Last offset : +0.000118615 seconds
RMS offset : 0.000782381 seconds
Frequency : 6.347 ppm fast
Residual freq : +0.001 ppm
Skew : 0.096 ppm
Root delay : 0.045935784 seconds
Root dispersion : 0.020177199 seconds
Update interval : 259.8 seconds
Leap status : Normal

MS Name/IP address Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
===============================================================================
^+ ntp0.dillydally.fr 2 9 377 311 +2553us[+2553us] +/- 58ms
^+ ns2.pulsation.fr 2 10 377 71 -3257us[-3257us] +/- 66ms
^* flightplandatabase.com 2 8 377 625 -3189us[-3070us] +/- 48ms
^+ 51-15-175-180.rev.poneyt> 2 10 377 377 -5154us[-5154us] +/- 57ms

Name/IP Address NP NR Span Frequency Freq Skew Offset Std Dev
==============================================================================
ntp0.dillydally.fr 17 8 99m -0.233 2.154 -1763us 4042us
ns2.pulsation.fr 25 15 134m +0.019 0.145 +802us 436us
flightplandatabase.com 19 12 133m +0.118 0.179 +2909us 564us
51-15-175-180.rev.poneyt> 33 18 155m -0.050 0.121 -836us 473us
This is working fine.

Not sure about France, but in Boston the Apple and Cloudflare pools give better time than the ntp.org pool.
Code:
pool time.apple.com
pool time.cloudflare.com