What's new

Number of clients is always 0 for Firmware 384.12

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

upload_2019-6-25_15-34-42.png

When I say that Asus are taking steps to prevent running their code on unsupported/illegal models, I really mean it. People facing an empty client list are, so far, mostly TM users ignoring that sticky post, or R7000 owners running an illegal version of my firmware on their Netgear router.

So, I don't support any of these for a reason.

Curious, I do have an actual RT-AC68U and my network list only shows 1 client, my PC. My TV and Blu-ray (wired) do not show on the network list except for right after they connect or if they start doing something. The Tools page does show when the TV or Blu-ray is on though (It says unplugged if they are off). It was doing this with 384.11 as well.

I guess my next test is to do another reset and check the box to erase everything. If IPv6 is enabled on the router but the TV and Blu-ray don't support IPv6 would that cause them to drop off the client list?

Curious, I do have an actual RT-AC68U and my network list only shows 1 client, my PC. My TV and Blu-ray (wired) do not show on the network list except for right after they connect or if they start doing something. The Tools page does show when the TV or Blu-ray is on though (It says unplugged if they are off). It was doing this with 384.11 as well.

Is your network a /24? Larger networks are not supported by networkmap.

No idea about the IPv6 behaviour. Before it got closed, networkmap only supported IPv4 (and specifically clients within a /24 subnet).

If I knew about it I probably will not update / flash a LTS version instead. Curious are there any known security risk (bug if fine for me) for running 384.12 on ac1900?

Is your network a /24? Larger networks are not supported by networkmap.

No. I never specifically specified anything regarding it. The LAN subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and the IP pool is 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254. Oh, clicking on the Refresh button doesn't detect them either.

If I go into the Network tools and ping the TV, which works, then it will appear in the client list for 5-10 seconds and disappear again.

No. I never specifically specified anything regarding it. The LAN subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and the IP pool is 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254. Oh, clicking on the Refresh button doesn't detect them either.

If I go into the Network tools and ping the TV, which works, then it will appear in the client list for 5-10 seconds and disappear again.

Could be part of the long-standing reliability issues with networkmap then. Nothing I can do about it, Asus decided to move networkmap to a closed source component with the 382_xxxx release two years ago.

Not to be smug, but networkmap used to work better back when I was able to fix that code (it was truly horrible in its early days, filled with multiple buffer overruns issues). Since Asus decided to close its source, they've added a number of features to it, made the web front-end code interfacing to it a complete maze, and its reliability has also been going downhill...

Could be part of the long-standing reliability issues with networkmap then. Nothing I can do about it, Asus decided to move networkmap to a closed source component with the 382_xxxx release two years ago.

Not to be smug, but networkmap used to work better back when I was able to fix that code (it was truly horrible in its early days, filled with multiple buffer overruns issues). Since Asus decided to close its source, they've added a number of features to it, made the web front-end code interfacing to it a complete maze, and its reliability has also been going downhill...

what's about if using this? thanks
cat /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases

what's about if using this? thanks
cat /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases

These are just DHCP leases. It will not contain devices with static IPs. It will also list any disconnected device whose lease hasn't expired yet. So as a client list, it's half useless.

What's about something like update_cllients.asp?

That's the networkmap data itself. You can't fix networkmap by having it use... networkmap data.

That's the networkmap data itself. You can't fix networkmap by having it use... networkmap data.

I think the web page "client list" is from update_networkmapd.asp which always returns "fromNetworkmapd_maclist = [[ ]];" If update_clients.asp has data for the web page, perhaps:

1. The web calls update_clients.asp instead, and modify the code on asp to display the data.
2. Or inject and remap from update_client.asp data to update_networkmapd.asp data package. Then update_networkmapd.asp returns the correct wrapped data package for the web page.

I don't know if those will work, but just a thought. :)

thanks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!