What's new

Occasional Reboots

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bertilak

Regular Contributor
Twice now I have found that I had no wireless access. A peek at my RT-AC88U showed that it was in the middle of a reboot.

The system log didn't show anything interesting until the timestamp went to "May 5 00:05:06" (the reboot). It had been idle for about three hours before the reboot. The first log entry at that point is:
May 5 00:05:06 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2020-08-14 15:18:22 EDT)

Has anyone else seen this? Anything I should look for in the post-reboot log?

P.S. I do have a periodic reboot scheduled but it is on a different day and time.

What firmware version are you running? What scripts are being used? Is the JFFS partition full? Is the NVRAM partition full?

Firmware: 384.19. Fri Aug 14 19:18:23 UTC 2020 merlin@89f02ff

No scripts.

RAM 213MB used, 299MB free

NVRAM 66789 / 131072 bytes
JFFS 4.78 / 64.00 MB

Same here with 384.19 on AC86U. Sometimes after a few days. It'll just reboot for no reasons. No jffs issues. And no nvram issues. So idk what is happening. I do know that this started to happen on 384.19 . Before that it usually lasts weeks without needing a reboot. And that's usually not needed. I just rebooted it because I updated some scripts. I want to try from scratch but seeing that 386 is in the horizon. I thought I'd wait since it'll need a whole reset again

Yes I have seen my AC86U @ 384.19 reboot (in fact it rebooted last night around 02:00 am ish) without me telling it to do. Not using the reboot scripts. I have never caught the same AC86U @ 384.18 rebooting on it's own. I am currently having GC/CRC/JFFS issues if I direct I/O from the J* scripts to the JFFS but for now I moved it all to the USB. Still trying to determine real root cause(s). YMMV.

Last edited:
My AC86U was doing this. It would also clear out (reboot to factory or something) all the settings. I refreshed from backups. But, I decided to do a clean install, starting fresh and putting in all settings by hand. It has been rock solid since then. Therefore, you might want to try a clean install (ie don't use backups).

@Matthew Patrick @gattaca Did you reformat your /jffs partition after installing 384.19 as noted in the changelog?
Haven't been able to since I can't apply the admin setting. Because of the username thingy. Although I don't think it was necessary because I don't have any jffs problems in logs or in practice. After I flashed the new 384.19, I did restore my jffs backup so it is all fine. I've done checking things day after day and nothing weird is going on jffs . Prob because i was only using 7MB of jffs when asus update truncated the 48mb to 47mb .

I've been running 384.19 for 9 days with no reboots. I was getting random reboots using 384.17.

I'm running an AI mesh with AX58U router and a AC3100 node.

Haven't been able to since I can't apply the admin setting. Because of the username thingy. Although I don't think it was necessary because I don't have any jffs problems in logs or in practice. After I flashed the new 384.19, I did restore my jffs backup so it is all fine. I've done checking things day after day and nothing weird is going on jffs . Prob because i was only using 7MB of jffs when asus update truncated the 48mb to 47mb .
Just because you don't see any messages in the log doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a problem with the jffs partition. You never said anything in this thread about problems other than the rebooting issue. As you appear to have multiple problems I think it's highly likely to be jffs related given RMerlin's warning in the changelog to RT-AC86U owners.

If you can't reformat through the GUI I suggest that you backup your settings and jffs through the GUI and then perform a hard reset. Then restore your files.

@Matthew Patrick @gattaca Did you reformat your /jffs partition after installing 384.19 as noted in the changelog?
Multiple times. There's a whole painful thread running in 384.19 release..... This may be another symptom of "/JFFS" issues. I'm monitoring this closely. Having others report is good to know. TY.

Hi all. I’ve downgraded cause latest version was causing randoms WAN disconections. Now is working ok with _18. Router: EA6900

Hi all. I’ve downgraded cause latest version was causing randoms WAN disconections. Now is working ok with _18. Router: EA6900
EA6900 Linksys is not supporten by RMerlin. Se top post in this forum.

Just because you don't see any messages in the log doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a problem with the jffs partition. You never said anything in this thread about problems other than the rebooting issue. As you appear to have multiple problems I think it's highly likely to be jffs related given RMerlin's warning in the changelog to RT-AC86U owners.

If you can't reformat through the GUI I suggest that you backup your settings and jffs through the GUI and then perform a hard reset. Then restore your files.

Okay. And way to format jffs thru ssh? I think I've read that there is a way but can't really find the proper one for ac86u?

Okay. And way to format jffs thru ssh? I think I've read that there is a way but can't really find the proper one for ac86u?
I think the hard reset will format the jffs partition for you. Even if it doesn't once it has rebooted you ought to be able to get into the GUI and select the reformat option from there. Then finally restore your backup files.

I think the hard reset will format the jffs partition for you. Even if it doesn't once it has rebooted you ought to be able to get into the GUI and select the reformat option from there. Then finally restore your backup files.
Okay. I'll try that when I have time. Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!