What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
can someone explain the difference between WDS and AiMesh ? or are they both supposed to be the same ?

WDS is an old technology, which uses WEP for encryption, and which requires you to manually configure everything.

Modern mesh technologies allow you to configure everything from a central point, they use WPA2, and they can automatically "route" through more than just two routers.

anyone able to help?
i have RT-AC88U as my main then RT-AC68U as my secondary node. everything is connected well... but then i stream youtube.. it will auto disconnected and my network will show default gateway is missing.
running on win 10 and router are all on stock firmware with aimesh

So when ai mesh is out of beta will it be merged with standard firmware?
And will there be a release of repeaters that support Ai mesh?

Last edited:
@Wilson_Deng
Any news of a beta update for the RT-AC5300 ? been very quiet, and no "official" builds for month's...

Had to drop this beta, it can't pair up with Nest Cam IQ (Error NC20), tested both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, other Nest products like the protect is ok,
did'n notice this for a long time since it works if the cam is already "pair'd" when you start using this beta.

My cam when't offline after a power out and i had to do a full reset off it, that's when the trouble started, Nest support couldn't solve it,
but after some time i realized that i was using the original official release when i first pair'd it up, changed back to RT-AC5300_3.0.0.4_380_7743-g2cf84e9
and the problem was gone...

Last edited:
i understand we are running beta software, but @Wilson_Deng wondering if your most recent build has the fixes for recent vulnerabilities from in the official fimrware or if we should expect them in the next beta drop?

Security fixed
- Fixed KRACK vulnerability
- Fixed CVE-2017-14491: DNS - 2 byte heap based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14492: DHCP - heap based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14493: DHCP - stack based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14494: DHCP - info leak
- Fixed CVE-2017-14495: DNS - OOM DoS
- Fixed CVE-2017-14496: DNS - DoS Integer underflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-13704 : Bug collision
- Fixed predictable session tokens, logged user IP validation, Logged-in information disclosure (special thanks for Blazej Adamczyk contribution)

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC86U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

I didn't want you guys to think I couldn't RTFM, but this confused me:

2. Now you can place secondary router to your idea location, then connect Ethernet cable from each node. The secondary router “WAN port” to primary “LAN port”. For third node, connect the WAN port to secondary LAN or Primary LAN.

Not sure what is trying to be communicated there. If that is referring to the physical ports the CAT6 cable is plugged into - I've done that, Or is it referring to a ROM configuration? It sure seems like the Primary router only thinks it is hooked up wirelessly.

UPDATE -

It seems it just took the routers a bit to figure it out. I might take a bit longer.... :)

When I look in the client list and have it display by interface it shows the RT-AC68U as a wired device. When I look at the details of the RT-AC68U in the node list it says the connection is wireless and trying to use the "change type" button has no effect. I was able to change the priority from "Auto" to "Ethernet" - I'm just not clear that is optimal - but it seems to me it should be.

Last edited:
i understand we are running beta software, but @Wilson_Deng wondering if your most recent build has the fixes for recent vulnerabilities from in the official fimrware or if we should expect them in the next beta drop?

Security fixed
- Fixed KRACK vulnerability
- Fixed CVE-2017-14491: DNS - 2 byte heap based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14492: DHCP - heap based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14493: DHCP - stack based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14494: DHCP - info leak
- Fixed CVE-2017-14495: DNS - OOM DoS
- Fixed CVE-2017-14496: DNS - DoS Integer underflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-13704 : Bug collision
- Fixed predictable session tokens, logged user IP validation, Logged-in information disclosure (special thanks for Blazej Adamczyk contribution)

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC86U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Hi,

We will have a next stage beta from next week, and for sure, will include security patches update.

@Wilson_Deng
Any news of a beta update for the RT-AC5300 ? been very quiet, and no "official" builds for month's...

Had to drop this beta, it can't pair up with Nest Cam IQ (Error NC20), tested both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, other Nest products like the protect is ok,
did'n notice this for a long time since it works if the cam is already "pair'd" when you start using this beta.

My cam when't offline after a power out and i had to do a full reset off it, that's when the trouble started, Nest support couldn't solve it,
but after some time i realized that i was using the original official release when i first pair'd it up, changed back to RT-AC5300_3.0.0.4_380_7743-g2cf84e9
and the problem was gone...

Hi,

We got an issue reported from Trendmicro, the nestcam was block by their IPS system, the update trendmicro patches were applied to server yesterday, I think it will be ok by updating. (No firmware update required for trendmicro patches update, it will be applied automatically.)

Hi,

We got an issue reported from Trendmicro, the nestcam was block by their IPS system, the update trendmicro patches were applied to server yesterday, I think it will be ok by updating. (No firmware update required for trendmicro patches update, it will be applied automatically.)

What about updates for ac5300? When will alexa and ifttt be supported and working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about updates for ac5300? When will alexa and ifttt be supported and working?

The next official will have. but 5300 official will not include AiMesh yet, but will have beta later with all functions.

The next official will have. but 5300 official will not include AiMesh yet, but will have beta later with all functions.

So alexa and ifttt will be supported in next official release for ac5300? Any expected time for release? Will it still be in 380 branch or next release will be 382?

Hi,

We will have a next stage beta from next week, and for sure, will include security patches update.

Thank you wilson. I have a bug to report. I have a canon ts6020 wireless printer. The wireless printer doesn't work anymore when the mesh is set up. The printer gets confused saying there are two ssids with the same name and can't connect to either of them. Let me know if you want the specific error, or firmware version on the canon printer

Hi,

when we can expect beta for 87U ?

382 must be just buggy, since there are issues with repeater and media bridge modes that can't connect to any APs, and that works fine on 380

I am, since a couple of month, using AiMesh on my two RT-AC68U. and it workes fine.
But when trying to do a firmware update on the node router the web browser, what ever I try, the IP-address returns to the main router on this URL: http://router.asus.com/Main_Login.asp
Is this a bug?
Or what am I doing wrong?

//Lasse

the first time you update to 18000, you will still need to do factory reset and load the firmeware dierctly into the node. After 18000, you should be able to do it remotely from the main url. In other words, that url only worked for me after the node was already on 18000

...In other words, that url only worked for me after the node was already on 18000

Thank's for a quick answer.
But I think you're missing the point, or I was not specific enough.
When I enter the LAN address to the Node router it always returns to the Main router using the URL mentioned earlier.
In other words, I expected the Node router to be accessable via it's own local IP address, but I'm getting a re-route to the main router.
The web browser flicker and shows the node login dialogue for a short moment but before I can enter my credentials it re-routes to the main router.

No worries. I wasn't able to access the node, directly via its own ip, until it got updated to 18000. Once in 18000, hitting its ip will render an auth page, then a single page where the only option is to update the firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!