What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have updated to the newest firmware on the main router (AC86U) How does one update the firmware on a node? do i need to go thorough factory resets and setup again from scratch?
Hi,
Alright, feedback on the upgrade process. Running 2 AC86U, from 17416 to 18000.
TL;DR Still rough.
Upgrading the main router took 3 times. First time firmware update screen went immediately unresponsive with zero UI elements. Second attempt the text below the progress bar inmediately said firmware update unsuccesful then reboots the router. 3rd attempt everything went smooth. Okay. attempted multiple times to install the new firmware manually on the node from he firmware page on the main router. After a few redirects, it always went back to router.asus.com, aka the main router. I am assuming that until both routers are at least on build 18000 the manual update won't work, but by design that will never be the case the first time you are setting up things, so perhaps the manual update option should be unavailable until the node is at least on a compatible build?
Okay moved into the node. There's no way to access the node directly, so i factory reset. I connect to the default ASUS_05G open wifi and i get an endless redirectign loop between the QIS and another router page. There's no way to access the sign in page, not from the 5G wifi, not from Ethernet. Switched browsers (safari to firefox), switched computers (mac to edge on windows 10) same endless loop. At that point i grabbed the asus recovery tool, put the router in recovery mode, and flashed via ethernet. Firmware updated, i follow oobe and i try following the instructions to set up as node. The setup text probably needs help from a native language speaker, i think at some point it suggested to connect to the wifi on the main router. Did that, the main router was able to find the node, but progress got stuck in 1% for a few minutes and eventually errored out. I think without rebooting the node, i attempted to add it again, this time directly from the main router, and was able to connect and finalize setting up. Routers were rooms apart, and just took me 2 attempts to get it to join, thebest experience i had so far but all in all still very rocky.
Once both routers were with 18000, i went onto the 'manual firmware update' option and i was properly redirected to a very simple page on the node router where i could upload the firmware file. Next time there's an update will give it a try :)

Hi Iceorbital,
When the firmware upgrade procedure finished, the WebUI will redirect back to main router automatically.

Hi @Wilson_Deng,

Could you please indicate if in version 18000 the wired connection between routers is supported? Furthermore is the functionality 'Guest network' available and not making the router crash (as version 17231 did) ?
A list of known issues (as already requested) -without using too many abbreviations :) - would be very much appreciated.
Thnx for your work and response.

i can confirm when you select the node, you can specify ethernet or auto. Now what that option actually does, have no idea, i have them connected through wifi.

Has anyone done any wireless throughput tests with this?

Is the expectation that the remote node will have half the bandwidth of the primary node, (similar to WDS)?

Sent from my LG-V940n using Tapatalk

i can confirm when you select the node, you can specify ethernet or auto. Now what that option actually does, have no idea, i have them connected through wifi.

if you select ethernet, the ethernet will be highest priority be selected. if auto, will be selected by some parameter calculation.

Hi @Wilson_Deng,

Could you please indicate if in version 18000 the wired connection between routers is supported? Furthermore is the functionality 'Guest network' available and not making the router crash (as version 17231 did) ?
A list of known issues (as already requested) -without using too many abbreviations :) - would be very much appreciated.
Thnx for your work and response.

Ethernet Backhaul supported.

Has anyone done any wireless throughput tests with this?

Is the expectation that the remote node will have half the bandwidth of the primary node, (similar to WDS)?

Sent from my LG-V940n using Tapatalk

According to the air time sharing for Uplink and Downlink.

I upgraded as follows:
1. Removed a node from Aimesh, and it was automatically reset to defaults
2. Connected to the node via ethernet cable, and uploaded firmware. Update was successfull
3. Updated main router. Update was successfull
4. Tried to add a node via the GUI, couldn't find the node.
5. Factory reset the node via reset button
6. Tried to add a node again. This time successfully added a node.

I upgraded as follows:
1. Removed a node from Aimesh, and it was automatically reset to defaults
2. Connected to the node via ethernet cable, and uploaded firmware. Update was successfull
3. Updated main router. Update was successfull
4. Tried to add a node via the GUI, couldn't find the node.
5. Factory reset the node via reset button
6. Tried to add a node again. This time successfully added a node.

step 1: yes, the node will be rest to default when you removed.
setp 4: have you change the password ?

BTW, Firmware 18000 and newer supported upgrade Node FW through Router.

Is QOS working in the latest V18000 version for the AC68U? I put in the same setting I had for Merlin builds but my bufferbloat report is worse.
I do like like the boost by approximately 20% in SAMBA read write performance from this build though.

step 1: yes, the node will be rest to default when you removed.
setp 4: have you change the password ?

BTW, Firmware 18000 and newer supported upgrade Node FW through Router.
No, I didn't change any password.
I'm also getting a 3rd router soon.

How good is AiMesh compared to competitors like Google WiFi, Eero etc..? I have a rough home due to some brick walls, and I have always been tempted by mesh. Not because I want this wireless meshing, I want to run Ethernet as a backhaul for performance and stability, but I want mesh due to how it seems to offer better capabilities in terms of steering, hand-off and load balancing compared to simply using multiple consumer routers as access points.

Today I have a Asus RT-AC5300U as a router + a Asus RT-AC66U as a access point. The problem is how these two units don't communicate at all... So most devices will pick up the RT-AC66U when entering the house, and all clients will just stick to this connection and not switch to the AC5300U even though the AC5300 has way better signal and performance in the living room for instance. And the same goes the other way around, our bathroom has really bad signal strength from the AC5300U due to brick walls but even when the signal is barely usable they will still hold onto the AC5300U without switching to the AC66U.

We ended up with having to have a separate SSID on the AC66U so we could manually switch when needed, but that's not a ideal solution. After what I understand from various reviews, these "mesh" solutions seems to have better communication between the router/station and the access point/satellites so it will do some sort of fancy steering and switching in order to avoid my problem above?

The one thing I don't really like with most WiFi mesh systems are how most of them are limited to 2x2 and don't offer 3x3 and none seems that future proof as they don't feature support for MU-MIMO etc.. And all seems to come with this really limited firmware? I like the sound of turning multiple Asus RT devices into "AiMesh" so I can get the full capability of AsusWRT as well as I get the full functionality and benefits of "mesh".

But how good is AiMesh? What does it offer in terms of steering, load balancing and handoff compared to the others?

Rt-ac87u has aimesh firmware yes or not

Patience, this is a work-in-progress. Asking for ETAs and such is rude. All the info Asus has to share at this time can be found in the first post.

I am experiencing this same issue.

Add me to the list. At least im not a special snowflake.

Flash both routers
Hold WPS side button down while booting to clear ram to factory
setup one as normal
just turn the other one on
cant mesh
try wifi connecting to default one and selecting node, it says ok now use main router to fine me
still cant mesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!