What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I searched but couldn't find an answer: Which firmware version (if any) is compatible with RT-AC1900 (Not P) Thanks!

In using my RT-AC68u as a Mesh node, it appears that I loose any control over the USB ports (afa samba and media server support) on the node. I just converted the AP in my family room to AiMesh node. It has a couple hard-drives with shared music and videos to various networked devices. My Mesh router is the only place where those USB settings are available, but those settings don't appear to propagate to the nodes. And those ports on the router are already in use for Backup storage, so I can't just move everything to the router's USBs.

Any plans on adding back any of those features on nodes? Or is it possible to enable/control that support manually via ssh?

New requirement need to discuss with team internal. I can't promise in here.
Hi @arthurlien. To update I found my doorbell had disconnected from node and connected to router (I am on latest December firmware). The router connection was -63 RSSI and node is -50 RSSI (these figures climb during the day). I rebooted router only trying to get Doorbell to connect back on node but it didn’t, I then left overnight hoping that Aimesh would change connection back to the stronger node signal. Unfortunately it didn’t happen. I had to go through process to change wifi network on Doorbell and it connected to stronger node signal straight away. The ability to lock a device to a node would solve this issue. Thanks for AiMesh beta sharing.

EDIT: The Doorbell has connected back to weaker router signal after only 5 minutes. I might revert to November firmware or even drop AiMesh and use node as wireless repeater and set up dedicated SSID. I only set up AiMesh for my doorbell signal.

Last edited:
What AP router are you talking about?
You can set it as router and you can add a node to it as part of AiMesh.
Or you can set it as AP and you can add a node. But that mode implies you have a different router connected to ISP, that does NAT for you.
Sorry for the confusion. There are 5 separate settings. Wireless router currently how it's configured (option 1). Then there is AP / aimesh router in AP mode (option 2). I guess thats where my confusion is. It's this so you can set up a second router as an AP just for aimesh? I guess my question is what is the 2nd option for aimesh router for?

My plan is to stick with router mode (1st option) for my gt AC5300 then make the 68u an aimesh node when I get it in.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

getting alot of spam in my logs, on a GT 5300

"
Dec 16 17:54:40 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Dec 16 17:54:40 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Dec 16 17:55:10 rc_service: watchdog 832:notify_rc stop_aae
Dec 16 17:55:10 rc_service: watchdog 832:notify_rc start_mastiff
Dec 16 17:55:10 rc_service: waitting "stop_aae" via watchdog ...
Dec 16 17:55:10 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Dec 16 17:55:10 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Dec 16 17:55:40 rc_service: watchdog 832:notify_rc stop_aae
Dec 16 17:55:40 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Dec 16 17:55:40 rc_service: watchdog 832:notify_rc start_mastiff
Dec 16 17:55:40 rc_service: waitting "stop_aae" via watchdog ...
Dec 16 17:55:40 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Dec 16 17:56:10 rc_service: watchdog 832:notify_rc stop_aae
Dec 16 17:56:10 rc_service: watchdog 832:notify_rc start_mastiff
Dec 16 17:56:10 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Dec 16 17:56:10 rc_service: waitting "stop_aae" via watchdog ...
Dec 16 17:56:10 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Dec 16 17:56:40 rc_service: watchdog 832:notify_rc stop_aae
Dec 16 17:56:40 rc_service: watchdog 832:notify_rc start_mastiff
Dec 16 17:56:40 rc_service: waitting "stop_aae" via watchdog ...
Dec 16 17:56:40 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Dec 16 17:56:40 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped"

I am getting the exact same thing in my GT-AC5300 logs as well. I do not know if Aruther has commented on this or not. Just wanted to let you know another GT-AC5300 owner seeing this as well

Hi @arthurlien. To update I found my doorbell had disconnected from node and connected to router (I am on latest December firmware). The router connection was -63 RSSI and node is -50 RSSI (these figures climb during the day). I rebooted router only trying to get Doorbell to connect back on node but it didn’t, I then left overnight hoping that Aimesh would change connection back to the stronger node signal. Unfortunately it didn’t happen. I had to go through process to change wifi network on Doorbell and it connected to stronger node signal straight away. The ability to lock a device to a node would solve this issue. Thanks for AiMesh beta sharing.
I have similar situation with my garage and the ainode in there. The signal level is at least 1o db higher than the house 60 ft away and the thermostat and the wifi connected light switch some 10 feet away from the ainode prefer the house airouter. Even when I reset everything those devices, if they do connect to the ainode, eventually move to the airouter.

I have similar situation with my garage and the ainode in there. The signal level is at least 2o db higher than the house 60 ft away and the thermostat and the wifi connected light switch some 10 feet away from the ainoed prefer the house airouter. Even when I reset everything those devices, if they do connect to the ainode, eventually move to the airouter.
Good to know, I think I’ll make garage a wireless repeater and keep my doorbell stuck to it.

Sorry for the confusion. There are 5 separate settings. Wireless router currently how it's configured (option 1). Then there is AP / aimesh router in AP mode (option 2). I guess thats where my confusion is. It's this so you can set up a second router as an AP just for aimesh? I guess my question is what is the 2nd option for aimesh router for?

My plan is to stick with router mode (1st option) for my gt AC5300 then make the 68u an aimesh node when I get it in.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Router in the AiMesh context means the device controling the nodes.
That device can be a router or an AP in the classical terms.

Good to know, I think I’ll make garage a wireless repeater and keep my doorbell stuck to it.
The other interesting thing is that the airouter is 40Mhz wide and the ainode is 20Mhz wide measuring with Net Analyzer and Wifi Analyzer. In the wireless configuration, I have it set to 40Mhz for 2.4 with no apparent separate setting for the ainode.

The other interesting thing is that the airouter is 40Mhz wide and the ainode is 20Mhz wide measuring with Net Analyzer and Wifi Analyzer. In the wireless configuration, I have it set to 40Mhz for 2.4 with no apparent separate setting for the ainode.

Assuming that's likely due to the wireless backhaul channel between the two? I know for mine, it's uses a 20MHz block out of the 80 allocated on the lower 5G-1 channel from the node.

Assuming that's likely due to the wireless backhaul channel between the two? I know for mine, it's uses a 20MHz block out of the 80 allocated on the lower 5G-1 channel from the node.
I can see that the ainode is connected to the airouter through 2.4 and 5Ghz in the main network map but I have a hardline connection to the ainode also. The config button for the ainode on the aimesh interface says this:
upload_2017-12-21_17-50-4.png

so it is not clear what channel is being used in my opinion.

That’s is interesting? I’ve rolled back to latest stock firmware and set garage up as repeater. At least it will stay connected to garage now.

EDIT: The Doorbell has connected back to weaker router signal after only 5 minutes. I might revert to November firmware or even drop AiMesh and use node as wireless repeater and set up dedicated SSID. I only set up AiMesh for my doorbell signal.

@arthurlien, this is the exact same issue that I have. Will send you logs as feedback. I think this is something that needs to be worked on.

Played with roaming assist at all? Not sure if it should be used or not. I just enabled it to see how it would do. Seem to hang as stuff won’t load right away, but then I do a speed test and all seems fine (just did 5ma ping and 400Mbps up/ down and after all loads as it should). Have only noticed video quality issues on a TV once since implementing. Before it seemed to happen all the time on one particular device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing happen here, device rare switch between node for 19612, the 18943 switch within seconds.

Same thing happen here, device rare switch between node for 19612, the 18943 switch within seconds.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post? I had some issues with 9.0.0.4_382_18943 but since upgrading to 9.0.0.4_382_19612 I have experienced the near immediate disconnection of node connection back to weaker signal Router connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!