What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If by solving the interruption whole roaming from an AP to another you understand 0 seconds, well it doesn't solve it. It's short, by my observations unde half a second. But it's there. For what it matters no vendor solved the problem and it will not be solved under the current standards. For web browsing interruption is hardly noticeable. But for voice calls you'll get like 1/2 silence or gibberish, but the call will not drop.

No, 66U is not supported and AFAIK it will never be.

4ms delays due to Moca should not be a problem, but I don't think anyone test it to confirm in real life.

Is there anyway to change aimesh rules? I have my node in my living room to use as an ap of sorts just use it for tv and stuff hardwired. I do not want my wireless devices connecting as the nodes speeds are half that of my routers (150 on node to 350 on router). Ethernetted into the node though they are extremely fast 450ish. Any thoughts?

How can I change the node to a repeater if I cant get into the gui? Factory reset?

I have the following routers on my network:
AC88U (primary)
AC66U x 2 - one on ethernet to the primary router, the other attached via a MOCA 2.0 bridge
AC68U - via a MOCA 2.0 bridge

Yeah... we have an old Tudor with lots of stucco walls, even on the interior which act as Faraday cages, and aluminum studs in the parts that have been renovated. The router signals make it from the basement to the attic pretty well, but have trouble going through our walls to adjacent rooms. 3 routers had mostly good coverage with a small dead zone and an area that liked to switch between the 3 routers a lot. 4 has good coverage pretty much everywhere.

I'm assuming AiMesh solve the problem of brief disconnection when switching between access points which drops you from some games like Clash of Clans, but isn't really noticed when web browsing? Otherwise, I guess I'm missing the point of it?

Will these all work with AiMesh, including the AC66Us?
Will the ~4ms latency added by MOCA create any issues?
If by solving the interruption whole roaming from an AP to another you understand 0 seconds, well it doesn't solve it. It's short, by my observations unde half a second. But it's there. For what it matters no vendor solved the problem and it will not be solved under the current standards. For web browsing interruption is hardly noticeable. But for voice calls you'll get like 1/2 silence or gibberish, but the call will not drop.

No, 66U is not supported and AFAIK it will never be.

4ms delays due to Moca should not be a problem, but I don't think anyone test it to confirm in real life.
There are zero handoff wifi product, one of them from Ubiquiti but they drop it already, dunno what is the current status. May be one day Wifi standard will evo and near the same as mobile, which is using soft handoff,

Ubiquiti used to ask for all AP on the same radio channel and that was purely stupid. It was a good marketing catch, but unable to deliver anything close to performance.
They dropped it years ago. It was working only with a couple of clients and little traffic. In reality error rate was incredible.

Ubiquiti used to ask for all AP on the same radio channel and that was purely stupid. It was a good marketing catch, but unable to deliver anything close to performance.
They dropped it years ago. It was working only with a couple of clients and little traffic. In reality error rate was incredible.
Yes, it also did't work well in our office, but when it works it is super, I am not surprise they drop it, we also had review Cisco and HP system but they are just too expensive, although the Cisco one is wonderful and I really love it.

Yes, it also did't work well in our office, but when it works it is super, I am not surprise they drop it, we also had review Cisco and HP system but they are just too expensive, although the Cisco one is wonderful and I really love it.

As i known, Ubiquiti used the same BSSID for all AP.

Better to buy a USB 4G/LTE dongle for WAN access and a RT-AC68U running AiMesh. It will be easier to upgrade the individual components as technology changes.

Hello, using Wifi analyzer I see the 5Ghz radios on both the Router and node are using the same channel 149. Similarly both the 2.4Ghz radios on both router & node are using same channel 2. [both my router & node are acting as AP only]

Is this the expected behavior? As I have always read to have different channels for each AP ?

Hello, using Wifi analyzer I see the 5Ghz radios on both the Router and node are using the same channel 149. Similarly both the 2.4Ghz radios on both router & node are using same channel 2. [both my router & node are acting as AP only]

Is this the expected behavior? As I have always read to have different channels for each AP ?

Yes, they will use the same channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys, please keep this thread about AiMesh-specific issues. I have moved the off-topic posts to a separate thread.

After *far* too much effort, I finally got AiMesh linked and working on my three AC-68U's, all connected with wired backhaul.

Upon running a wifi analyzer, I see that all three are using the same WiFi channel in both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. This happens whether I set wifi channel on the master to a specific channel, or to 'auto'. If I try to access the nodes by IP to manage them, it redirects me to the master.

How do I convince the nodes to run on a different channel? Having all 3 running on the same channel causes enormous interference.

If there's no way to run the nodes on different channels, then it seems that for someone with wired backhaul, AiMesh will offer strictly worse performance than simply setting up three independent access points with the same SSID on different channels...?

Could you provide Model and FW version information ?

I took the AC68 Merlin out from the main router and placed the AC68U AIMESH instead, it´s running with no problem till now but the processor consuption is crazy, almost about 80% all the time, I´ve sent the feedback

I will test this configuration for one week or more, the merlin router will be off

After *far* too much effort, I finally got AiMesh linked and working on my three AC-68U's, all connected with wired backhaul.

Upon running a wifi analyzer, I see that all three are using the same WiFi channel in both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. This happens whether I set wifi channel on the master to a specific channel, or to 'auto'. If I try to access the nodes by IP to manage them, it redirects me to the master.

How do I convince the nodes to run on a different channel? Having all 3 running on the same channel causes enormous interference.

If there's no way to run the nodes on different channels, then it seems that for someone with wired backhaul, AiMesh will offer strictly worse performance than simply setting up three independent access points with the same SSID on different channels...?

@arthurlien very interested in you explaining for us all the answer to this please? If this is true (haven’t looked myself) I’m assuming that the identical channels across the AIMesh for each Band is the way it’s “meant to work” ?

StephenH

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!