What's new

Official firmware and default chinese DNS servers (HiNet, Yandex)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hunny Puppy

Occasional Visitor
I'm using the official 388.x firmware for the RT-AX88U. I exported and opened the saved configuration file using @medo tool: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wrt-settings.16992/

When going through the settings, I came across this `dns_ping_list` default setting which contains a couple of DNS servers references to HiNet and Yandex which appear to be servers based on china.

I went through all the settings on the GUI pages on the router but cannot find anything referencing these servers. What are these DNS servers and how are they used? Is Asus periodically checking in with these DNS servers? Is there a privacy concern here? It's a little disturbing that I can't find these settings on the GUI pages. I also see reference to these on @RMerlin github source code page. What are these used for?

1675355926217.png

I'm using the official 388.x firmware for the RT-AX88U. I exported and opened the saved configuration file using @medo tool: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wrt-settings.16992/

When going through the settings, I came across this `dns_ping_list` default setting which contains a couple of DNS servers references to HiNet and Yandex which appear to be servers based on china.

I went through all the settings on the GUI pages on the router but cannot find anything referencing these servers. What are these DNS servers and how are they used? Is Asus periodically checking in with these DNS servers? Is there a privacy concern here? It's a little disturbing that I can't find these settings on the GUI pages. I also see reference to these on @RMerlin github source code page. What are these used for?

View attachment 47640
Network Tools/Network Analysis Ping (list)

Note they're at the end of the list, so the last available. If you don't live behind the great firewall of China then likely they'll never be used, but it gives those behind the firewall servers they can ping etc

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!