What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.10007 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
May i know which version you are using in your router
Was on 384_20287 and i am back to 382.18XXx ( ac68u)
I will flash it again and retry .

Edit: I am now back to .20287 on my Ac68,but this time i erased Nvram, not just a factory reset before fresh config. Brb with news

Last edited:
You realize you did not pay for AiMesh tho, right? AiMesh is a totally new feature added afterward. It's a complex system, and will take time to stabilize. Asus are trying something that nobody has ever done here: implementing mesh networking on top of existing products that weren't originally designed for it.

Somewhat, but I bought a new RT-AC86u because of AiMesh. I'm sure others have too. So to say we didn't pay for it isn't 100% correct. I do agree with the stability comments though. I knew it was new and could have issues. I do expect it to function better soon though. I do know the product wasn't designed for it, but I doubt the general public knows that. Asus is marketing the feature pretty heavily. They don't have caveats about it maybe not working right.

I don't consider using a single channel to be a "benefit". Does this yield quicker switching between nodes? Otherwise I'll definitely be sticking with normal access points.

The switching does seem to be pretty smooth. I've not tested it with a VOIP call yet though. I'm guessing that it would likely be an easier transition when the channel remains the same.
If you're already happy with access points, then it's certainly not worth the switch to AIMesh. I bought two 86U's because of AIMesh, but now that I know that I have to still rely on the client to do the switching then I really feel duped by Asus' marketing. For my 2 routers having centralized configuration is no big deal, and I'd like to control whether the radio is on or off on the basement node. Quite honestly, I think an access point would work better for me.
I still have a couple of weeks to return my routers, I may just do that.

The switching does seem to be pretty smooth. I've not tested it with a VOIP call yet though. I'm guessing that it would likely be an easier transition when the channel remains the same.
If you're already happy with access points, then it's certainly not worth the switch to AIMesh. I bought two 86U's because of AIMesh, but now that I know that I have to still rely on the client to do the switching then I really feel duped by Asus' marketing. For my 2 routers having centralized configuration is no big deal, and I'd like to control whether the radio is on or off on the basement node. Quite honestly, I think an access point would work better for me.
I still have a couple of weeks to return my routers, I may just do that.
Sounds like this?

https://www.snbforums.com/index.php?threads/44287/

I checked my router' s configuration. The WPS is already ON.
So the step 1 you said that both router and nodes have to be reset, right? I thought you only need to reset the node you want to add.

Yes, sometimes old settings in the router will make the node not binding.

You realize you did not pay for AiMesh tho, right? AiMesh is a totally new feature added afterward. It's a complex system, and will take time to stabilize. Asus are trying something that nobody has ever done here: implementing mesh networking on top of existing products that weren't originally designed for it.
My admired and respected Merlin, what are you talking about??? I bought my THIRD router here https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._ac68u_ac1900_dual_band_wireless_gigabit.html LAST WEEK after the production firmware was released, are you going to tell me that I don't pay for that?? should I need to pay more ?? please tell me.

Can you imagine all the people that are getting right now those ASUS routers and updating to the last official firmware?? a lot of these people don't even know what AiMesh is, they are getting loops and bugs, should all of them forgive ASUS for carelessly release a clearly beta firmware into production??

I don't have any problem testing and supporting ad nausea any beta software, but, as paying consumer, I have all the right to expect a bug-free, stable product using the official production firmware.

Dear Merlin, I suppose you could have a relationship and probably an empathy to Asus employees, believe me, Asus should pay you for all your great work, you are the reason me and thousands of people buy ASUS routers, but please, try to understand my point, if Asus doesn't have enough engineers/programmers, or if they decided to release this software as an official production version just to have an advantage or marketing impact versus their competitors they made a HUGE MISTAKE.

Thanks

Somewhat, but I bought a new RT-AC86u because of AiMesh. I'm sure others have too. So to say we didn't pay for it isn't 100% correct. I do agree with the stability comments though. I knew it was new and could have issues. I do expect it to function better soon though. I do know the product wasn't designed for it, but I doubt the general public knows that. Asus is marketing the feature pretty heavily. They don't have caveats about it maybe not working right.
100% agree, imagine all those hundreds or thousands of people around the globe with problems RIGHT NOW!

I'm having problems getting my AiMesh node to connect via wired backhaul. I have 2 86u's and I did a factory reset on both because my WAN speeds were only getting around 650-700 while wired direct and with my OnHub's I could get maxed out at 950-1000. Before the factory resets I had wired backhaul successfully working. Now, hooked up the same way, I can't get the backhaul to switch to wired even when I manually select Ethernet. Any hints or tips on either issue?

My admired and respected Merlin, what are you talking about??? I bought my THIRD router here https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._ac68u_ac1900_dual_band_wireless_gigabit.html LAST WEEK after the production firmware was released, are you going to tell me that I don't pay for that?? should I need to pay more ?? please tell me.
He’s right. The feature was just recently added. It’s not perfect, but some have gotten it to work.

Asus is working on it and eventually, it will work for most everyone and then it will still not work for some. That’s the nature of software and every variable that’s added to a network environment.

Patience is your only option now, because complaining about it won’t fix the issues any quicker.

He’s right. The feature was just recently added. It’s not perfect, but some have gotten it to work.

Asus is working on it and eventually, it will work for most everyone and then it will still not work for some. That’s the nature of software and every variable that’s added to a network environment.

Patience is your only option now, because complaining about it won’t fix the issues any quicker.

I am helping out the ASUS team to solve the problems that I have discovered. I think the best way to get it work is not complaining, but helping out the testing and debugging. They are doing a great job, but need to make sure all different devices with different hardware can work properly is not an easy task.

I choose to offer help, and I have faith on their engineers that can make it nice and stable afterwards. ;)

I am helping out the ASUS team to solve the problems that I have discovered. I think the best way to get it work is not complaining, but helping out the testing and debugging. They are doing a great job, but need to make sure all different devices with different hardware can work properly is not an easy task.

I choose to offer help, and I have faith on their engineers that can make it nice and stable afterwards. ;)
I agree to help other then complain, but please, better QA before each release, some bug should not exist in a official release. Average user most likely not have the skill to debug/testing and will not care why a function isn't working, they properly had no clue and just return it, and then tell others not to buy Asus because of their bad experience.

My friend just return her RT-AC1900p pair because she can't make the AImesh work flawlessly, I give her my Samsung mesh system which come free with my Note 8 and now she love Samsung, even I know that mesh suck.

btw Asus eng team is wonderful, the same or may be faster response time then some of my business gear(If you are reading, not those in that topology:))

Last edited:
So. Getting back to debugging. If we find bugs, what's the best way to let Asus know about them? Create a ticket? Or post in here? I have a few that I posted without any response.

I would recommend submitting feature request using the feedback feature within the web GUI.

I recently submitted one specifically for the node.

-manual reboot
-scheduled reboot
-cpu/memory stats
-enable SSH (turns out this already is inherited but it took a while to take affect)
-USB device management

A few more I can think of...
-sync status, considering my SSH experience.
-someone mentioned TX power. (Not sure if that’s referenced correctly)
-I would also like the ability to assign a static IP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am able to setup a static IP for my node using the traditional means - via the LAN-DHCP Server page, manual assignment.

I am able to setup a static IP for my node using the traditional means - via the LAN-DHCP Server page, manual assignment.

LOL....that not really a static IP assignment. That’s a DHCP reservation but I gotcha! [emoji1360]

I had hoped to avoid using a reservation, I won’t bore you with the details. Being able to statically assign an IP is a nice to have but certainly not a deal breaker.

Thanks for the feedback.

So. Getting back to debugging. If we find bugs, what's the best way to let Asus know about them? Create a ticket? Or post in here? I have a few that I posted without any response.

Why not both, anyway Asus actively monitor this forum

LOL....that not really a static IP assignment. That’s a DHCP reservation but I gotcha! [emoji1360]

I had hoped to avoid using a reservation, I won’t bore you with the details. Being able to statically assign an IP is a nice to have but certainly not a deal breaker.

Thanks for the feedback.

Haha - yes, you are right! I forgot for a moment that there is a big difference between an IP address served up by the router's DHCP server and a preassigned one that the node gives itself on startup. (I actually do this stuff for a living in the industrial remote access space, so I should know better! :D)

I agree to help other then complain, but please, better QA before each release, some bug should not exist in a official release. Average user most likely not have the skill to debug/testing and will not care why a function isn't working, they properly had no clue and just return it, and then tell others not to buy Asus because of their bad experience.

My friend just return her RT-AC1900p pair because she can't make the AImesh work flawlessly, I give her my Samsung mesh system which come free with my Note 8 and now she love Samsung, even I know that mesh suck.

btw Asus eng team is wonderful, the same or may be faster response time then some of my business gear(If you are reading, not those in that topology:))

Sorry to ask what should be obvious, but is the point of AIMesh really supposed to be about seamless roaming? Is the switch between nodes supposed to be initiated by the client or the mesh system?

Status
Not open for further replies.