What's new

OK to use ch 36 for 5 ghz?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bustergordon

New Around Here
Hi everyone! I'm having a terrible time with my wifi, so I used a wifi analyzer and discovered that the channel I'm using is super congested. Unfortunately, my R7000 only lets me use certain channels, and all of the higher 5 ghz channels are also congested (presumably because my neighbors are all using similar routers?). The only ones that seem ok are at the lower end, like 36. When I go to change my channel to 36, however, I get a warning that I should use a higher channel.

Given that I'm having issues with the higher channels, should I go ahead and use one of the lower channels anyway?

Thanks!

Use whatever channel works best.

OE

Given that I'm having issues with the higher channels, should I go ahead and use one of the lower channels anyway?
All you do when changing 5 GHz channels on a consumer AC class router is change the control channel. Since all consumer router default to using 80 MHz bandwidth, that means they use four channels, either all the low band (36-48) or high band (149-161).

AC is supposed to dynamically change bandwidth use depending on channel availability. But don't know if that really happens.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that changing the channel within the 5 GHz low or high band might not make that much difference. First try changing to a channel in the other band.