What's new

Okay, so I've thrown my RT-AC88U into recovery mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gregory Phillips

Very Senior Member
I am frustrated with this router dumping IPv6 right in the middle of while we're trying to do things so I've attempted to roll back the firmware to the original version. I put it into recovery mode and successful uploaded the original 858 using the rescue utility which completed and said to wait for a reboot. 30 minutes have elapsed so far and only the main power light is on in a steady on state. Should I be concerned? I took all other clients and pushed them off to the ATT router so I am alone with the 88u and the wan is also disconnected.

I would factory reset it using the WPS method. I have rolled back and forth many times on my 3100 and never had one issues.

Well to make a long story short asus has implemented protections to prevent users from using the recovery method to flash back to the prechange firmware. I ended up flashing to 7266 which went in the very same way and immediately rebooted like normal.

Really i am not aware of Asus stopping this. I just did it a few weeks ago with no problems. Using Merlins 66 A3 at the moment and all is good but i dont have comcast any longer either.

It would let me upload it and even said that it had finished and would reboot but never did. Only after I uploaded 7266 the same way would it follow through on the reboot. I really wanted to give the old firmware a try to get past my IPv6 issues.

If I switch over to my AT&T router I can keep IPv6 24hrs a day no issues. It's been up for over 200 days now and never drops out.

I used the recovery tool to perform it with.

I used the recovery tool to perform it with.

You may want to try the CFE mini web as you can clear the nvram (restore defaults) before flashing the firmware.

Example of what the CFE looks like.

asus_rt-ac5300_firmware_eng_04.png

I wanted the CFE interface and set my IPv4 static, however, it always put me to the initial setup screen on the GUI so I used the recovery tool. I've sent everything in to tech support and customer loyalty showing them that 7266 doesn't work right for me even using a new cable modem as I replaced my sb6121 with a netgear cm1000.