What's new

I want to roll back the firmware version to 386.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dlwlrma

New Around Here
Win 10 64bit / 3.0.0.4.388_22525
TUF AX5400 V2

I already have this file.(TUF-AX5400_3.0.0.4_386_43588-g814828f_cferom_puresqubi.w)
Version 3.0.4.388_225 has an error, so I'm trying to roll back to version 386.43588.

----------------------------------------------------
I tried following the link below, but it failed. (Error picture IMG_1258.jpg)
IMG_1258.jpg

Attempted to roll back to 192.168.1.1 after entering recovery mode failed (Error picture IMG_1259.jpg)
IMG_1259.jpg

Administration > Firmware Upgrade > Manual firmware update
Failed this way too (Error picture 11.jpg)
11.jpg

I don't know why I keep failing. Is the product defective? Updates work normally.

What I've tried
1. Remove wan
2. Remove all ports and connect only port 1
3. Proceed 5 minutes after entering recovery mode
4. Shut down all the vaccine programs
5. Proceed after factory initialization
6. LAN Line Replacement

I believe you can't flash firmware older than 388.xx, after upgrading it to the 388.xx level.

Win 10 64bit / 3.0.0.4.388_22525
TUF AX5400 V2

I already have this file.(TUF-AX5400_3.0.0.4_386_43588-g814828f_cferom_puresqubi.w)
Version 3.0.4.388_225 has an error, so I'm trying to roll back to version 386.43588.

I tried following the link below, but it failed. (Error picture IMG_1258.jpg)
View attachment 51272
Attempted to roll back to 192.168.1.1 after entering recovery mode failed (Error picture IMG_1259.jpg)
View attachment 51273
Administration > Firmware Upgrade > Manual firmware update
Failed this way too (Error picture 11.jpg)
View attachment 51274

I don't know why I keep failing. Is the product defective? Updates work normally.

What I've tried
1. Remove wan
2. Remove all ports and connect only port 1
3. Proceed 5 minutes after entering recovery mode
4. Shut down all the vaccine programs
5. Proceed after factory initialization
6. LAN Line Replacement

Do you have anything plugged into USB? If so unplug it. You shouldn't need to go into rescue mode, it should allow it from the GUI. I know you said you did a reset but did you do a hard factory (WPS etc) reset, then configure just enough to get into the GUI and try downgrading within there?

There are some versions where once you've upgraded, you cannot go back. Check the release notes to ensure that doesn't apply here.

I believe you can't flash firmware older than 388.xx, after upgrading it to the 388.xx level.

Ah yeah, just alluded to that at the same time. So only option may be a previous 388 version.

What issue are you having - perhaps merlin has addressed it in his release or an older asus release won't have the problem?
I installed it yesterday, so I haven't found any problems yet. But when I looked it up, I was told that the 386 version was better than the 388, so I was going to roll back.

Who stated that?

I installed it yesterday, so I haven't found any problems yet. But when I looked it up, I was told that the 386 version was better than the 388, so I was going to roll back.

Tons and tons of people running 388 for a long time now. If you aren't having an issue, leave it alone.

I don't know why I keep failing. Is the product defective?

All 386 versions firmware for this device appear to be removed from download section. The possible reasons are V1/V2 hardware and double image files for both and a new minimum required firmware version practice. It prevents V1 firmware flashing attempts to V2 hardware and the use of firmware with discovered security flaws. The new minimum required firmware version is one of double image 388 series.

You are not having a problem but want to downgrade? Why? Who claimed the 386.x firmware was better for that specific router than the 388.x firmware?

You are not having a problem but want to downgrade? Why? Who claimed the 386.x firmware was better for that specific router than the 388.x firmware?

I think they get it now. Unfortunately it is easy to get steered wrong by some random person on the internet, they probably came across someone having a problem with a specific setup or specific bug that doesn't impact OP and became concerned.

@dlwlrma have read discussions about troubleshooting specific issues with other models. The longest going "back to 386" threads I remember were around XT8 issues and some users even managed to damage their units with firmware older than minimum required. This model also has V1/V2 revisions. Since 386 firmware for TUF AX5400 was completely removed from Asus Support website - no going back options.

@dlwlrma have read discussions about troubleshooting specific issues with other models. The longest going "back to 386" threads I remember were around XT8 issues and some users even managed to damage their units with firmware older than minimum required. This model also has V1/V2 revisions. Since 386 firmware for TUF AX5400 was completely removed from Asus Support website - no going back options.
What is the difference between V1 and V2?

What is the difference between V1 and V2?

Different hardware requiring different firmware. All currently available firmware images at Asus Support website with >90MB size contain both firmware files for V1 and V2. This TUF Gaming AX5400 router is based on RT-AX58U hardware and perhaps the difference in V1 and V2 are similar:

I've gone back and for between 386/388 several times in trying to work through several of my 388 issues that don't happen under 386, but I had a reason to do so. At least on my AX86u's and AX88, your model may be different.

In bringing a couple of AC5300's out of storage for a family member, I had to rescue them to get a current firmware version on them. After trying all day, and it failing at different % levels (just shy of 100%), I finally was successful once I found a firmware file under 33MB in size, and was successful at that point. Then flashed them with 386.10, only to have a lighting strike send a power surge that knocked them out week later. Your mileage may vary...

I've gone back and for between 386/388 several times

Me too, but on a different model router. For this TUF Gaming AX5400 perhaps one of the available 388 versions is now the minimum required version.

I've gone back and for between 386/388 several times in trying to work through several of my 388 issues that don't happen under 386, but I had a reason to do so. At least on my AX86u's and AX88, your model may be different.

In bringing a couple of AC5300's out of storage for a family member, I had to rescue them to get a current firmware version on them. After trying all day, and it failing at different % levels (just shy of 100%), I finally was successful once I found a firmware file under 33MB in size, and was successful at that point. Then flashed them with 386.10, only to have a lighting strike send a power surge that knocked them out week later. Your mileage may vary...

Your workaround angered the firmware gods.

The release notes for each firmware should tell you whether a rollback is possible or not. Sometimes it changes the file system and can't be rolled back (since the old firmware would not know that it has to change it back) other times it updates the bootloader and is no longer compatible with old versions. Sounds like that isn't the case on the AX86 and 88 you have but likely is for the OP's model.