What's new

Old Dog needs help with new tricks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Old Dog

New Around Here
My router does not give me coverage throughout my house. I have added a poe switch and a netgear AP. I am currently getting a third of my download speed and zero upload speed through my AP. Who can help and what information do you need to help?

Thanks Josh

Some model numbers would help. Also, speed has two parts the AP/ the client adapter. If the client can only do 400mbps and you remove the overhead you're at about 300mbps.

Access point is

NETGEAR Wireless Access Point (WAX218)​

Router is from Comcast. Will have to get model number later.

speed at the router runs 350’s download and 11’s upload

AP speed 80’s download 0 upload

By the way if you need cables run, hard drive replaced or a program wrote in DOS I’m your guy but once we start talking about ip addresses, port forwarding and things of that nature you’ll lose me. I remember accessing the internet through dial up and bulletin boards.

By the way if you need cables run, hard drive replaced or a program wrote in DOS I’m your guy but once we start talking about ip addresses, port forwarding and things of that nature you’ll lose me. I remember accessing the internet through dial up and bulletin boards.
Nothing wrong with being an old dog!
Is the PoE a 100 MB or a Gig. That may be the bottleneck.

Could just be a crappy Ethernet cable to the AP. Seeing as though the AP is AX you should be able to get the same speeds over WiFi as the modem.

I also started out with BBSs but then took the networking path instead. Finding ways to elevate privileges was a goal back then to see the inner workings.

First thing I would do is ditch the rental modem and buy one to save the $15/mo fee.

Ok here’s a little more info. When I first hooked up the AP it worked but I was only getting a third of my download speed and my upload speed was acceptable. Then the comcast router started acting up. Comcast router was overheating and WiFi was sketchy. AP would still work. Replaced Comcast router and it works but AP doesn’t now. What would be the best router to replace the Comcast one? I don’t really know how to check settings well but I feel there’s a conflict somewhere. With a little guidance I could pickup this side of things. By the way I had been up for about 20 hours this morning when I first asked for help so I was thinking the clearest.

All you really need is a modem a MB8600 works well but, if you have a need for more than a gigabit connection to the modem the MB8611 would work. The basics are looking for docsis 3.1 so they don't phase out the modem in the short term. These are bridge devices though and would require a router of some sort behind them. Any router will work to get the IP and provide NAT/FW functions. Then you just connect the AP to the router and you're done.

Since the price on the 2 modems is within ~$30 I would probably just go with the MB8611 and not have to think about upgrading again to something with a 2.5gbps port later on. The MB8600 though has 4 ports on the back and you can bundle them together for 2gbps by combining them into a single pipe. This poses issues if your terminating device doesn't do LACP though to combine multiple ports into a single connection. Most consumer routers are too dumb to do this or overpriced.

For the router, since you have an AP already going with a wired only router would make the most sense for ~$60 to keep costs down since you already have WIFI from the AP.

CM <> router <> AP

I would say consider how your antennas are placed. people generally want to put them in a Y shape, but that is generally not a very good setup. Think of the antenna as doughnuts. if they are pointed straight up the hole of the doughnut would be the space right above/below the antenna itself, not going to get the best coverage there but as you go out it broadens. now in a straight line from where the line of the antenna is is the best coverage from that antenna. I suggest having at least 1 & at most half of your antennas pointed straight up&down. the others should be adjusted with slight variations from up&down to reach areas that have problems being covered. If you have 1 spot that doesn't get coverage think about where that place is from your router, adjust one of the antennas to have the flat side pointing towards that spot. That will give you the best coverage. The same for the access point.
antennaradiationpattern2.jpg

Now some things like metal pipes can cause some bending of the signals as well, so a good practice is to test, make small changes & test again until you find something that works well for you.

As far as the Access Point having low speeds... Well that could be the type &/or setup of the access point. Is it a wired into the router via ethernet cable? Is it connected via WiFi? is it connected using a Powerline Adapter?

Each of those setups have plusses & minuses, but even the best setup will have slower speeds. If your access point is connecting to your router over WiFi & then you are connected to it over WiFi your speeds should be about ½ what you get at best. If you are getting less than that your Access Point may need to be closer to your router or maybe put somewhere where there's less signal interference. & just because the connection is strong doesn't necessarily mean you will have great speeds. There are times when certain objects like cement walls may give you high connectivity on the other side, but slow speeds. I've seen this happen when someone was getting slow speeds even though the router was just on the other side of the wall, but that wall was cement with rebar beams in it.

NOTE: When I clicked the thread it showed no comments for some reason. Seeing the comments I'd still ask how you have the AP connected over WiFi or via Ethernet?

Last edited:
Ethernet cable from router to switch and from switch to AP. All brand new cables I made and test each one.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!