What's new

One computer occassionally blocks internet on network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rodenti

Occasional Visitor
I have a RT-N66U using the forked Merlin version 374.43 by john9527. My router is connected through two switches to multiple computers, printers, network drives, voip devices, etc. I also have a USB drive (for traffic history storage, dlna, backup, etc) and a printer attached to the router's USB ports.

The issue is that intermittently a computer on my network will hog the internet connection, not allowing any other device on the network to access the internet. It is usually one specific computer, but at least one other computer has also caused the same issue.

All other devices can connect to the router, see other computers on the network, and access the ASUS admin webpage, but these devices are unable to reach the internet even though the one computer has no issues accessing the internet during that time. At first I thought it was only a DNS issue, but I can't even ping 8.8.8.8 during these times.

This usually happens when the computer is being used to play online games, with Skype, or other streaming services. When the Skype call or the game/streaming ends then internet is restored back to all other devices. I can also reboot the router to restore internet.

I have tried other versions of Merlin but I get the same issue with all of them... so it is not unique with this firmware version.

Has anyone else experience this issue? If so, are there any suggestions on how to resolve it?

Last edited:
Hi,
Moved the computer to different switch LAN port? Does the problem follow computer?
Look at the advanced setting of the NIC or try different NIC.

Do you have the Spanning-Tree Protocol enabled under Lan->Switch Control?

Thanks for the quick replies.

I'll switch around the ports to see if that changes anything.

Spanning-tree Protocol is enabled (Enable Jumbo Frame and NAT Acceleration are both disabled).