What's new

Ookla Speedtest cli binary available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As the column heading indicates. I tried converting and still didn't get anything close. Maybe I was too tired to see straight. The unknown is the units for "download" and "upload". Assuming its a unit of time = usecs?
It works for me - bytes per second, so multiply the numbers by 8.

EDIT: Just checked your numbers and they work as well.

It works for me - bytes per second, so multiply the numbers by 8.

EDIT: Just checked your numbers and they work as well.
OK, I'm not following you. Just as an example, how do I get 116.05 (download Mbps)

dl_bits = 102,359,208 * 8 = 818,873,664
dl_time = 14,505,861 (units unknown - assumed usec)

Bits_per_second would be dl_bits/time (after converting to seconds)

I'm not seeing anything like 116.05.

(14505861*8)/1024/1024 = 110.6709365845

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I was assuming those were raw count and time numbers based on the column headings. So the only useful fields are "download" and "upload". I was making it more complicated. Thanks

I just found it, it runs smooth on my Ubuntu server. I run it from python, take the json output and send it to my Monitor webapp which stores the data on DB so I can have it historical and see charts.

I wanted to run it on my AMD64 OpenWRT router, but am unable to. It doesn't have a native edition, and the x86_64-linux fails with
Code:
/ookla-speedtest-1.0.0-x86_64-linux: line 1: syntax error: unexpected ";"
. On Ubuntu it also doesn't work:
Code:
bash: ./ookla-speedtest-1.0.0-x86_64-linux: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

Yea you’re right. Although I suspect the official version was born from the fact so many are using the unofficial.
They share a lot of very similar features, almost like one was copied... ;)

For sure they inspired on it, some parameters are the same and also json output.

But it's sad, parameters and could be identical so that we could replace one for the other, but they aren't so I had to adapt my code. And they also seem to have used the same .py name, which made them incompatible. To install Ookla's I had to uninstall speedtest-cli. At least I see no feature the python version has that Ookla's doesn't.

Is anyone using this these days? Is it worthwhile? (Does it still allow you to select an interface to successfully test?)

If so, what’s the correct install cmd line?
Thank you!!

Is anyone using this these days? Is it worthwhile? (Does it still allow you to select an interface to successfully test?)

If so, what’s the correct install cmd line?
Thank you!!
It’s included in the Asus firmware as part of the Speedtest. You can run via SSH:
Code:
ookla -c http://www.speedtest.net/api/embed/vz0azjarf5enop8a/config -f human-readable

It’s included in the Asus firmware as part of the Speedtest. You can run via SSH:
Code:
ookla -c http://www.speedtest.net/api/embed/vz0azjarf5enop8a/config -f human-readable
Yeah but you can’t switch interfaces that way any more… thanks!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!