What's new

Open Box 409 Pro safe to buy?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Naka

New Around Here
I've been doing my best to research the different NAS systems available and it seems QNAP is the way to go. I'd love to get a 509 but I just dont think I can afford of justify spending that much money right now. When I was browsing Newegg I stumbled on this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107012R

It's the 409 Pro open box. It's a steal for this price and I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this?

I have had good experiences with factory refurbished product. But haven't done any "open box" deals.

I'd go for it only if you can return it for refund if it is defective.

Doh, guess I was too slow. It's gone already!

I still think I am leaning more towards the 409 in general though. It seems like a very solid unit.

If future capacity/performance is important, the TS509 is miles quicker. Consider starting with 3 drives and adding more later to save a few bucks.

Knowing what's coming down the pipe, the 509 would be my pick for best "buzz for your buck" at it's price point. For the record, I don't work for Qnap :)

Cheers,
Dennis.

If future capacity/performance is important, the TS509 is miles quicker. Consider starting with 3 drives and adding more later to save a few bucks.

Knowing what's coming down the pipe, the 509 would be my pick for best "buzz for your buck" at it's price point. For the record, I don't work for Qnap :)

Cheers,
Dennis.

Believe me Dennis, I'd love to get a 509, I just wonder if it's overkill for my small home network. I only have 2 computers on the network as it is as well as 2 game consoles. I want a NAS in general to easily share files and stream media between all my devices as well as share a printer and have some of the other features these devices have such as the webserver, outside file access, etc.. I am just not sure I can justify the $300 jump from 409 to 509. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Open Box from newegg is kind of iffy. Generally you have a good chance of "missing" something. Be it a power cable, remote, or something small like that. Most of the time everything is there, but it all depends on what you're buying.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!