What's new

Open VPN client doesn't work on RT-AX88U_386.1_2.zip

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zormic

New Around Here
Hello,

I have a problem with OpenVPN configuration:

Open VPN Server is working properly on my AC68U with 386.1_beta5 and I can connect to it from any device that has the OpenVPN app, and all works as it should.

On my AX88U I've setup the VPN client importing the SAME file (from my AC68U) as in any other OpenVPN app and when I connect I simply loose Internet connection. As soon as I turn off the client Internet comes back. The same thing happens when I try to use the OpenVPN from my friend's AC88U that otherwise works perfectly within the OpenVPN apps on any platform.

I mind you that I've setup the VPN clients for 3 locations with OpenVPN files downloaded from ExpressVPN, that I subscribe to, and they just work flawlessly.

Can anybody help?

Thank you...

One possibility; both the OpenVPN server and OpenVPN client happen to be using the same IP network on their respective tunnels (e.g., 10.8.0.0/24). And if that's the case, one or the other has to be changed to resolve the routing conflict (e.g., 10.9.0.0/24).

One possibility; both the OpenVPN server and OpenVPN client happen to be using the same IP network on their respective tunnels (e.g., 10.8.0.0/24). And if that's the case, one or the other has to be changed to resolve the routing conflict (e.g., 10.9.0.0/24).
Thank you so much for the answer.
After I wrote the initial post/question, I went and reinstalled the official Asus FW on AX88U and the connection worked flawlessly. I restored Merlin version and it did not work, like before...

Now, may I ask you to tell me where I may change those settings. I have found on server part the option (at least I think I did), but where is it on client side?

So, step by step would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks!

You can't control it on the OpenVPN client side since it's the OpenVPN *server* that determines the tunnel's IP network. If you find a conflict, all you can do is adjust YOUR own OpenVPN server to resolve the conflict, or else find another server for the OpenVPN client that doesn't conflict w/ your own OpenVPN server.

You can't control it on the OpenVPN client side since it's the OpenVPN *server* that determines the tunnel's IP network. If you find a conflict, all you can do is adjust YOUR own OpenVPN server to resolve the conflict, or else find another server for the OpenVPN client that doesn't conflict w/ your own OpenVPN server.
That's it! Thank you very, very much!