What's new

Open VPN client routinely disconnecting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Geeum

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I'm running a VPN through Open VPN and it works perfectly. Only problem is that the connection drops on a regular basis, after 10-12 hours. Hard to say exactly when, but basically if I turn the VPN on, I have no problem for several hours, but if I come back the next day, it's very likely that the connection will have dropped and when I log on the router I see the following error:

OpenVPN Client 1 - Error connecting - Authentication failed.

Then I manually turn it back on (with the 'Service State' button) and it works again.
Any idea what this could be? Is there a way to run a 'turn off/turn on' script that would reset the connection every night at 3 am? I feel this could be a good workaround.

Geeum
router: RT-AC68U
firmware: 380.66_4(second to last version, will update to the latest today)

Hi guys,

I'm running a VPN through Open VPN and it works perfectly. Only problem is that the connection drops on a regular basis, after 10-12 hours. Hard to say exactly when, but basically if I turn the VPN on, I have no problem for several hours, but if I come back the next day, it's very likely that the connection will have dropped and when I log on the router I see the following error:

Then I manually turn it back on (with the 'Service State' button) and it works again.
Any idea what this could be? Is there a way to run a 'turn off/turn on' script that would reset the connection every night at 3 am? I feel this could be a good workaround.

Geeum
router: RT-AC68U
firmware: 380.66_4(second to last version, will update to the latest today)

I assume you are running a VPN client. If yes, who is your provider?

Settings for you to confirm are ON is Start VPN with WAN and you probably want to disable restarting your router automatically though if you have the Start VPN with WAN option enabled this might solve your problem by rebooting your router everyday at 3 AM.

A simplier solution than creating a script might be for you just to find a new provider. I seldmon or ever have issues with either Astrill VPN or StrongVPN.

My provider is .... myself. I lease a VM and installed open VPN on it. Works like a charm and gives me much higher download speeds than any of the services I tried, and it's cheaper.

As for rebooting, I have set the scheduler to reboot twice a week, Sunday and Thursday 2:30 am

I'll try moving to a daily reboot and set 'start VPN with WAN' to YES (it's at NO right now)

Thanks!

Add "auth no-cache" to your configuration.

Correct, sorry (was going from memory).

Awesome, thanks guys. As an fyi here's what my config looks like now (what was there before was copy/pasted from a tutorial)

setenv FORWARD_COMPATIBLE 1
server-poll-timeout 4
dev-type tun
ns-cert-type server
reneg-sec 604800
sndbuf 100000
rcvbuf 100000
setenv PUSH_PEER_INFO
auth-nocache

No luck. I have this error on the VPN status page:

What does your VPN server logs (on your VM) show out of interest?
I don't know. I should take a look but I've set this up a long time ago following a tutorial so not quite sure how to check the logs. I'll look for a tutorial (unless someone can point me out how to do this).

Anyone else have an idea?

Here are my settings. I have no stability issues with PIA

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote us-xxxxxx.privateinternetaccess.com 1198
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
cipher aes-128-cbc
auth sha1