What's new

Open VPN Clients 1, 3 and 5 not working on RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tvferret

Occasional Visitor
I am configuring my RT-AC86U OpenVPN clients (I use ExpressVPN). Bizarre thing is that only slots/clients 2 & 4 work, when I try to configure clients 1, 3 and 5, I get an error, nothing verbose in the log, just this:

Code:
Jul  7 14:06:17 rc_service: httpd 1713:notify_rc start_vpnclient1
Jul  7 14:06:17 openvpn: Starting OpenVPN client 1 failed!

I'm using latest Merlin 386.2_6. Funny thing is that my other router, RT-AC87U with Merlin 384.13_10 is working flawlessly.

Any ideas? Hints?

Ufff, similar story with OpenVPN server, Server 1 Failed to start, Server 2 up and running. BOTH servers configured in exactly the same way (except for the port of course) Bizarre ???????

Can you check your System Log for any report that a CPU core might have been disabled due to high temperature? I forgot the exact wording of the warning.

Indeed, one core seems to be disabled! I cannot find anything in the log but in the System Status I see only one core. Also, the CPU temp is 97 deg C. It seems that 86 runs MUCH hotter that 87.

Indeed, one core seems to be disabled! I cannot find anything in the log but in the System Status I see only one core. Also, the CPU temp is 97 deg C. It seems that 86 runs MUCH hotter that 87.
That is indeed too high, the CPU will disable cores when it reaches 100C.

See if you can improve the airflow around that router. An alternative might be to get a laptop cooling fan, and plug it to the router`s USB port.

That is indeed too high, the CPU will disable cores when it reaches 100C.

See if you can improve the airflow around that router. An alternative might be to get a laptop cooling fan, and plug it to the router`s USB port.
Thanks so much for the hint. Running like a charm now. I "refurbished" the place where I keep my router and temp is now steady at 89 deg C. Not really sure what the optimum temp is. I will invest in the usb fan though ;-) Thanks!
And BTW, I am getting a steady 160 Mbits through the VPN. Cool!

An alternative might be to get a laptop cooling fan
Not for the 86, I think. The base blocks an upward flow. Better a usb fan to blow at the router. It doesn't take much to make a big improvement.

I haven't invested in the usb fan yet, temp is fairly steady at 88 deg C. (which I find insanely high for such a product anyway). What bothers me though that VPN speeds (even though better than without hw acceleration) are still at around 160 Mbits max. According to this thread I should expect up to 260 Mbits with 384 version. What gives? Is it worth to downgrade? What would I lose? I use VPN for work so speed is important but I also have a Unraid server with OpenVPN Access Server docker where I can max almost 300Mbits/sec so router's performance is not the end of the world for me. Of course I'd rather use only router for VPN but OpenVPN AS docker is working just fine.