What's new

opendns works with computer dns conf manually but not router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jay b

Occasional Visitor
I have several vlans created. All devices attached to these vlans can access internet with no issue. I am using tomato build 132 on an asus rt-n66u router. When the windows 10 computer and windows xp computer is configured manually for dns no opendns oops! page but when the computers are set to obtain dns auto and use router for opendns the oops! page appears. I have the opendns servers, all 3, entered in the tomato dns settings. I tried all of the standard procedures flushdns and clear broswer cache. The opendns support has said "From what I can see right now, your router isn't actually able to use OpenDNS servers and send them out on your network. The NSLOOKUPs that you've performed proves this, along with the test you did by applying the OpenDNS servers directly on your computer(s)." Is there a bug in tomato build 132 with this? Thanks in advance.

Are you rebooting the router and the computer(s) you're testing with after changing the settings?

Are you rebooting the router and the computer(s) you're testing with after changing the settings?
Thanks for responding. I have also rebooted the rooter and computer after flushdns and clearing browser cache didn't work. I also am wondering if there is something else in the tomato settings that I need to do? I have included a screen shot of the tomato lan settings.

Attachments

• printscreendnsservers.jpg
    printscreendnsservers.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 823
I was only aware of openDNS having 2 servers so you may want to check that. Check the configuration settings in your openDNS account as well. Another thing you could do is to use your router as a DNS cache and have the router perform the DNS lookup instead and enforce the DNS server by hijacking DNS traffic on LAN that isnt bound for the router. It could be that you have your openDNS account set to block requests coming from LAN addresses and with the devices performing the lookup themselves openDNS may think that they are using LAN addresses.

I was only aware of openDNS having 2 servers so you may want to check that. Check the configuration settings in your openDNS account as well. Another thing you could do is to use your router as a DNS cache and have the router perform the DNS lookup instead and enforce the DNS server by hijacking DNS traffic on LAN that isnt bound for the router. It could be that you have your openDNS account set to block requests coming from LAN addresses and with the devices performing the lookup themselves openDNS may think that they are using LAN addresses.

Thanks for responding. I'm still learning much of this stuff. How do I know if the router is being used as a DNS cache and have it perform the DNS lookup instead? Enforce the DNS server by hijacking DNS traffic on LAN that isnt bound for the router. Is that port 53 intercept? I have included a screenshot of the DHCP DNS settings.

Attachments

• printscreendhcpdns.jpg
    printscreendhcpdns.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 873
I've been able to get opendns to work properly using the router by unchecking "use as dns" in the basic: ddns section. However after saving the change there was only one static dns server entry for opendns. I originally had 3 different opendns servers in the static dns section. The last 2 had 0.0.0.0 them. When I reenter the other opendns servers in place of the 0.0.0.0 entries, I lose internet service completely after saving. When I remove the last 2 entries, I regain internet service. Thanks in advance.

I've been able to get opendns to work properly using the router by unchecking "use as dns" in the basic: ddns section. However after saving the change there was only one static dns server entry for opendns. I originally had 3 different opendns servers in the static dns section. The last 2 had 0.0.0.0 them. When I reenter the other opendns servers in place of the 0.0.0.0 entries, I lose internet service completely after saving. When I remove the last 2 entries, I regain internet service. Thanks in advance.
did you manually assign IP addresses to your devices? if so did you use your routers IP for the DNS?
its the only way it will work. and like system error said you should have 2 DNS not 3 so remove the first entry that says IP port

I have several vlans created.

Why?

If there is no practical purpose, I'd have to ask why your introducing complexity into your network when you probably would be better off not...

So... what is the purpose? Just because you can (e.g. WANT) or a valid purpose (e.g. NEED) - tell us more...

Thanks for all the replies. I found what the trouble was. I was using dnscrypt-proxy. I was using the 4armed resolver under basic:network:resolver. It did not work for opendns. I selected instead the cisco resolver and everything works now. Other resolvers may work I have yet to try them out. Anyhow, the other option to make it work was to not use dnscrypt-proxy. Opendns works fine now but the opendns support was not that helpful. They didn't seem to know the ins and outs of how to make it work. I had to experiment on my own to get things to work. I hope that this info will help out others.