What's new

OpenSpeedTest as an Addon

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Small update, as I upgraded my ISP speeds, I had to change my QOS settings, and for testing I disabled QOS and that increased the download speed to 1.3Gb
1707691156007.png

However, this is still only half of the 2.5Gb and the upload speed is still low after I disabled AI protection, turned off all my network shares as well as the VPNs running, still can't figure out what is causing this. Even tried messing with Jumbo Frames and Flow Cache, nothing seems to make these speeds go faster. BTW, the download only shows 1 core at 40-50% while the upload shows 1 core at 100%, and the core usage is cycling between core 0-3 during the test.

Small update, as I upgraded my ISP speeds, I had to change my QOS settings, and for testing I disabled QOS and that increased the download speed to 1.3GbView attachment 56403

However, this is still only half of the 2.5Gb and the upload speed is still low after I disabled AI protection, turned off all my network shares as well as the VPNs running, still can't figure out what is causing this. Even tried messing with Jumbo Frames and Flow Cache, nothing seems to make these speeds go faster. BTW, the download only shows 1 core at 40-50% while the upload shows 1 core at 100%, and the core usage is cycling between core 0-3 during the test.
I’m not sure if the read/write test is read out of memory or from the drive but you could try adding an SSD to see if it makes any difference.

I’m not sure if the read/write test is read out of memory or from the drive but you could try adding an SSD to see if it makes any difference.

I tested this on my Asus AC5300, which I think has an old 32-bit processor and also uses an old Linux kernel. I also used a slow USB drive on the USB 2 port. Loading 'downloading' the file to memory and then serving it from memory is what usually happens, so USB speed will not be that important.

Did you change the Nginx Configuration? If so, please post the configuration.

Asus Router model?

Testing Device Model/RAM/Processor Model?

You should use Chrome or Safari Browser, Chromium-based browsers like Opera, Brave, etc., also work.

If you have another device with a 2.5G Ethernet connection, it can be connected directly to the router to rule out if this is a limitation of the CPU on the router.

Recently, I have added reuseport which may help in this situation, but you need the latest Linux Kernel.

Watch
Hyper-V?

Stupid question: how do I extract the files from github to the router?

Stupid question: how do I extract the files from github to the router?
You don't have to. Edit the configuration and add reuseport to see if that helps or not.

Always test the Nginx configuration and reload or restart the Nginx service every time you make changes to the configuration.

Was anyone ever going to take this project on to develop an installer of sorts, in order to offer it as an official add-on? I think @thelonelycoder already hinted at possibly being willing to add this to AMTM, and hinted heavily at @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow to see if he would work his magic to create an installer like he successfully did with AMAGHI? :)

I tested this on my Asus AC5300, which I think has an old 32-bit processor and also uses an old Linux kernel. I also used a slow USB drive on the USB 2 port. Loading 'downloading' the file to memory and then serving it from memory is what usually happens, so USB speed will not be that important.

Did you change the Nginx Configuration? If so, please post the configuration.

Asus Router model?

Testing Device Model/RAM/Processor Model?

You should use Chrome or Safari Browser, Chromium-based browsers like Opera, Brave, etc., also work.

If you have another device with a 2.5G Ethernet connection, it can be connected directly to the router to rule out if this is a limitation of the CPU on the router.

Recently, I have added reuseport which may help in this situation, but you need the latest Linux Kernel.

Watch
Hyper-V?
I have not changed the configuration, although I can't use the one on the github page, I'm using the one you posted on the tutorial on how to install this directly on the router, so that's why I'm using that.

Asus Router: GT-AX11000
Testing Device: My PC with 5900X and 64GB RAM and 2.5Gb Killer ethernet port
Tested with: Chrome

I don't have another 2.5Gb connection to this router or another device that supports that, so the PC is the only thing I can use to test the connection, this PC has been formatted recently and I don't have any Hyper-V enabled.

I guess I will need to try with iperf to verify any discrepancies as per the video from ThioJoe.

Was anyone ever going to take this project on to develop an installer of sorts, in order to offer it as an official add-on? I think @thelonelycoder already hinted at possibly being willing to add this to AMTM, and hinted heavily at @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow to see if he would work his magic to create an installer like he successfully did with AMAGHI? :)
The main difference is AdGuardHome comes with its own built in features to handle the WebUI. With this as an addon, nginx would have to be installed and configured. Individuals who have nginx installed might only want nginx configured in certain ways. Nginx is an added variable with its own set of complications. Sure you can setup nginx to run with this, but for users who already have nginx installed and configured in their own way, this introduces a more complex variable.

Last edited:
The main difference is AdGuardHome comes with its own built in features to handle the WebUI. With this as an addon, nginx would have to be installed and configured. Individuals who have nginx installed might only want nginx configured in certain ways. Nginx is an added variable with its own set of complications. Sure you can setup nginx to run with this, but for users who already have nginx installed and configured in their own way, this introduces a more complex variable.

Thanks for the official explanation on that, @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow!!

I have not changed the configuration, although I can't use the one on the github page, I'm using the one you posted on the tutorial on how to install this directly on the router, so that's why I'm using that.

Asus Router: GT-AX11000
Testing Device: My PC with 5900X and 64GB RAM and 2.5Gb Killer ethernet port
Tested with: Chrome

I don't have another 2.5Gb connection to this router or another device that supports that, so the PC is the only thing I can use to test the connection, this PC has been formatted recently and I don't have any Hyper-V enabled.

I guess I will need to try with iperf to verify any discrepancies as per the video from ThioJoe.
I ran iperft3 with the router and I got the exact same results:
1707772304415.png
1707772291671.png

At this point I have no idea what else could be limitting the download speed from reaching 2.5Gb, QoS was something I was not expecting to be the culprit but it is not the only thing as it only increased the download by 250Mbits more. I guess this is something that I will have to research on my own as it is no longer related to this thread.

Appreciate the feedback, but not going lie, I was bummed hearing that it’s not going to easily move to amtm. I guess one workaround is to check for Nginx and then warn/fail the install. Is it common for people to install Nginx on Asus routers?

I think the best approach for this would be a full tutorial thread that provides a step by step method for installing this for users to make the choice if it is something they wish to try out. From the looks of it though users are reporting unexpected results.
I got as far as having nginx up and displaying the github splash page for the app, but nothing more.

I got as far as having nginx up and displaying the github splash page for the app, but nothing more.
Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 7.08.23 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 7.08.59 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 7.09.15 PM.png

I can see this when I connect via SMB.

You can download and copy https://github.com/openspeedtest/Speed-Test to /share/nginx/html.

Also, paste the Nginx Config https://pastebin.com/4FQdwMTG into /etc/nginx/nginx.conf.

Create a folder for Nginx logs at /opt/var/log/nginx.

Use the terminal to test the Nginx configuration by running 'nginx -t'.

Now reload or restart Nginx.

If you encounter errors, try this config: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/openspeedtest-as-an-addon.85202/post-844199.

I ran iperft3 with the router and I got the exact same results:View attachment 56432View attachment 56431

At this point I have no idea what else could be limitting the download speed from reaching 2.5Gb, QoS was something I was not expecting to be the culprit but it is not the only thing as it only increased the download by 250Mbits more. I guess this is something that I will have to research on my own as it is no longer related to this thread.
Check the NIC driver on your PC; make sure you are using the latest driver.

Check the NIC firmware.

Try enabling Jumbo Frames.

Try using a different cable.

Attempt running openspeedtest or iPerf using Ubuntu Live and Google Chrome.

This issue might be specific to Windows. If you run Ubuntu Live, you can rule out this possibility.

For Windows users, some NICs work better when QoS is disabled. Try accessing the advanced NIC settings and experiment with disabling or enabling hardware offloading.

This was the step I hadn't figured out. Now it works. Thanks.

Specifically, from the Code button, download the zip file. Unzip it and then use winscp to copy the result over to that folder.

Got this running on my AX86U running as an AP. Thanks for the hints from everyone. I added my own below

A couple clarifying things for people working through this:
1. Follow steps outlined here
2. To download and extract openspeedtest onto your router:
Code:
wget https://github.com/openspeedtest/Speed-Test/archive/refs/heads/main.zip
unzip main.zip
cp -R ./Speed-Test-main/* /opt/share/nginx/html/
mv /opt/etc/nginx/nginx.conf /opt/etc/nginx/nginx.conf.bak
3. I've found that updating nginx will overwrite your index.html. To work around this:
chmod -w /opt/share/nginx/html/index.html (or just make a backup as it seems this may not work)
4. vi /opt/etc/nginx/nginx.conf and insert the entire conf from this post
5. /opt/var/log/nginx already existed for me but if not, create that folder
6. start nginx. There is a startup script located on /opt/etc/init.d/S80nginx that you can run with the start parameter
7. [new - added 2024-03-23] - Due to some default settings on my NIC (AX86U), I've added a startup script to tweak the NIC settings:
opkg install ethtool
vi /opt/etc/init.d/S79ethtool
Code:
#!/bin/sh

PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

ethtool -K br0 tx off sg off tso off gso off
chmod +x /opt/etc/init.d/S79ethtool

Last edited:
Here's a screen grab of going from my Mac mini (1GbE) to the AP running OpenSpeedTest. AP is connected via 2.5GbE.

1707947251319.png

I've been using OpenSpeedTest for a while now. It's an excellent application. The tests perform better with a router or device with good processing power. It's necessary to have a good network cable, Cat6. Currently, I use Speedtest-Tracker to generate a report, as complaints about bandwidth consumption follow criteria based on monthly averages. The link to Speedtest-Tracker is: https://github.com/henrywhitaker3/Speedtest-Tracker

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!