What's new

OpenVPN, a cloud server, and Bonjour (mDNS/avahi)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tyler

New Around Here
Hi all,

I'm running Merlin (latest) on an ASUS AC-3200 and am wanting to join a cloud server (running Centos) to my local network via OpenVPN. The cloud server is running a web service that communicates with devices on my network, some of which relies on discovering the available services on my local network using Bonjour/mDNS.

I have looked this up a bit, and have found some info, but all of it relates to running the OpenVPN sever on a linux box rather than on a router - This defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to achieve which is to move my home API server in to the cloud.

So I have configured the OpenVPN server in merlin, and used the 'server-bridge' command in the server config to bridge the OpenVPN TAP interface to the cloud server's local interface. This works and provides the cloud server with an IP on my local network, and the cloud server can use my router for DNS and resolve all my internal dns names. BUT, none of the Bojour/mDNS broadcasts are making it through to the cloud server.

So basically I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other configuration required on the router to allow mDNS packets through to the VPN, or if that's even possible with merlin. I may also just be doing the completely wrong thing, my understanding of advanced networking is a bit limited.

If someone could either point me in the right direction, or let me know if its just not possible I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help!

Here is some config info (remote name changed) ...

OpenVPN client settings (the cloud server connects to the router using these settings):
proto tcp-client
remote notreallymyrouter.com 1194
float
ncp-ciphers AES-128-GCM:AES-256-GCM:AES-128-CBC:AES-256-CBC
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo adaptive
keepalive 15 60
remote-cert-tls serverv
resolv-retry infinite
nobind

OpenVPN server settings (as configured in the merlin UI):
Interface Type: TAP
Protocol: TCP
Port: 1194
Firewall: Custom <--- Not sure what this does?
Auth Mode: TLS
User/Password Auth: No
TLS control channel security: Disable
Auth Digest: Default
Allocate from DHCP: No
Client Address Pool: 192.168.1.252 - 254
Poll Interval: 0
Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic: Yes
Respond to DNS: Yes
Advertise DNS to clients: Yes
Cipher Negotiation: Enable
Negotiable Ciphers: AES-128-GCM:AES-256-GCM:AES-128-CBC:AES-256-CBC