What's new

-OpenVPN - Can I chose which SSID gets VPN and which gets direct connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chris J

New Around Here
I ended up gifting my new ASUS RT-AC86U to a friend who was running a US robotics router. Didn't even get a chance to open the box.

I am now looking for another router for a very large home. I have a budget of $500.

I want to be able to broadcast at least two separate SSIDs. The requirements are:

( SSID 1) Should be using a VPN through the router. Thereby all traffic on this SSID would be going through a VPN like PIA.

(SSID 2) Should not be using VPN and would connect to the internet directly

Is there a router that can allow traffic on a particular SSID through a VPN and let the other SSID connect directly?

I'm using an Asus RT-AC68U with Merlin firmware in a very large home and this would definitely meet your budget. I'm using Torguard as my VPN (I tried PIA but Torguard seemed to work better for me).

I approached what I think you are trying to achieve a little bit differently. I have a regular secure network and guest network. I have it set so that all of my devices by default go through the VPN unless I specifically exclude the MAC address. I'd have everything on the VPN except Netflix, CraigsList and a few other sites will block me unless I'm using a private IP. For this reason, I have my personal computer, a kid's gaming computer and my TIVOs (used to stream Netflix) bypass the VPN and go directly to the WAN. I use the Torguard VPN client on the PCs where the router based VPN is not used. I always start the PCs using the VPN client and then disconnect it if I need to go to a site with blocking. I use OpenConnect on the VPN client rather than OpenVPN which has given me better throughput as well.

In terms of configuring this, it's pretty easy using the Merlin firmware. In the OpenVPN client settings, set "Redirect Internet Traffic" to On. In the rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel, set a rule named "All Devices", set the source IP to 192.168.1.0/24 with destination of 0.0.0.0 and set iface to VPN. For devices you'd like to bypass the VPN, set the source IP to the specific device you want to exclude 192.168.1.xx, the destination to 0.0.0.0 and the iface to WAN.

FYI - I'm a complete router novice compared to most people on these forums. I researched and found this solution which I think is relatively simple and works well for me. I hope it is helpful for you.

I ended up gifting my new ASUS RT-AC86U to a friend who was running a US robotics router. Didn't even get a chance to open the box.

I am now looking for another router for a very large home. I have a budget of $500.

I want to be able to broadcast at least two separate SSIDs. The requirements are:

( SSID 1) Should be using a VPN through the router. Thereby all traffic on this SSID would be going through a VPN like PIA.

Is there a router that can allow traffic on a particular SSID through a VPN and let the other SSID connect directly?

RMerlin explains that precise setup on the wiki.
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Policy-based-routing-(manual-method)

Using Astrill as your VPN Provider and their Router Applet Under Merlin will give you exactly what you are looking for.

There is also an acceleration feature as well.