What's new

OpenVPN disconnecting on Mac clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Manorexia

Occasional Visitor
For ~ 2 years, we've been using OpenVPN on our RT-AC88U with no issues. Recently, I updated from Merlin 384.17 to 384.19... at the same time, Apple pushed out a patch for MacOS Catalina... so it could be one, both, or neither... but now, about every minute (never more than 2 minutes), the connection gets dropped, and then the client reconnects. This happens with the OpenVPN client as well as TunnelBlick. This happens on three MacOS laptops... but does NOT happen to either of the two Windows clients. Anyone heard of anything like this?

Heard of Apple snafus? Yes. :D

What happens if you reset the OpenVPN Client, reboot the router, and set it up again? Export the new OPVN file and import it into a problem Mac. Does that fix it?

Heard of Apple snafus? Yes. :D

What happens if you reset the OpenVPN Client, reboot the router, and set it up again? Export the new OPVN file and import it into a problem Mac. Does that fix it?

Nope. Did all that and still having issues with disconnects. I am going to switch to TUN and see if that fixes it.

For ~ 2 years, we've been using OpenVPN on our RT-AC88U with no issues. Recently, I updated from Merlin 384.17 to 384.19... at the same time, Apple pushed out a patch for MacOS Catalina... so it could be one, both, or neither... but now, about every minute (never more than 2 minutes), the connection gets dropped, and then the client reconnects. This happens with the OpenVPN client as well as TunnelBlick. This happens on three MacOS laptops... but does NOT happen to either of the two Windows clients. Anyone heard of anything like this?

Almost certainly it was from 384.19 (and the new version of OpenVPN introduced from that point and still present in the last "stable" build) - I have the same issues and I had to return to 384.18 which seems to be the last that is OK.

The issue seems to be that only one client works at a time, the moment when a 2nd one comes the first gets dropped (but then it usually retries to connect and causes the other client to drop), Everything works fine as long as you have a single client, but the 2nd creates an issue for everybody. And that is in my case with any combination of clients, Win+Mac, Win+Android, Android+Android and anything else I have tried.

I believe I have seen one other post raising that issue but I can't find it right now :(