What's new

OpenVPN + Gigabite internet = 1.4ghz cpu ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

soulbadguy

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,
In a lookout for a new router once again (just donated my asus AC58u and riding a comcast box).
My wireless needs are pretty basic : 1 notebook,1 tablet,1 phone and a couple of smart devices here and there. My place is pretty small so wireless coverage is a non issue.

I was planning on getting the AC1900P from best buy, but i keep reading that the ac3100 is a much better device : is there a difference in term of vpn performance ? The AC1900P beeing a revised ac68U, how long before asus drop support of that specific model ?

Is the TPLINK 3150 a good option ?

Thanks

vpn peed comes down to grunt , the more grunt the router has the better the vpn will perform throughput wise , so yes you can now get a 1900ac class asus with 1.4gig but you also need lots of ram and im sure you know you wont be getting anywhere near your internet speed with any of these routers anyway , if your chasing pure vpn performance you need to look at a pc type gateway solution

so yes you can now get a 1900ac class asus with 1.4gig but you also need lots of ram

That's what i though too, but i think someone mentioned on the forum that the wireless chip in the AC3100 has it own dedicated CPU, taking off some of the load from the main 1.4 ghz cpu. So it seems that theoretically at least the AC3100 class router might provide faster vpns

you know you wont be getting anywhere near your internet speed with any of these routers anyway , if your chasing pure vpn performance you need to look at a pc type gateway solution

Yes i am well aware of that. And i pretty sure my vpn provider might also be a bottleneck. I rather avoid any pc/custom firmware type of solution. I am looking for relatively simple setup.

Thanks for your suggestion relation appreciate it

The CPU load difference will be close to imperceptible there. It probably helps more with the Wifi performance than it does for the rest of the router's CPU usage.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!