What's new

OpenVpn help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I saved it..but when I rename it back to .ovpn, it stays as text format.. is that normal?

It's a text file, just with different file extension. If the name is xyz.ovpn, you should be able to import it in your OpenVPN App.

Ok... installed on the iphone.. and it detected it as all.dnsomatic.com, but it won't connect... I get "There was an error attempting to connect to the selected server".

Did you save the DMZ settings on the modem?
Is the DDNS hostname correct? Sorry, in .ovpn file skip all the http://, must be just the hostname there.

Yup.. I saved the settings on the modem.. .and only added all.dnsomatic.com - - I don't need to reboot the router or anything after the DMZ change at the modem?
This is what it looks like...

1634089163422.png

Here is my test file beginning:

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote test13.ddns.net 1172

I'm in double NAT with an AC1900P, OpenVPN server TUN, UDP on port 1172.
Router IP 192.168.144.4 (private) in DMZ behind my ISP modem/router.

This all.dnsomatic.com doesn't sound like right DDNS hostname to me.

hmm.. that's what dnsomcatic says to use as host... it's been working for a few years I've used it.

1634089632396.png

I'm not familiar with DNS-O-Matic. It can't be all DNS-O-Matic users using the same hostname, must be something else there. Can you switch temporary to the Asuswrt free DDNS service? It will give you unique DDNS hostname for your router. This is what I have with No-IP. I'm using 7x different DDNS hostnames with this service.

Ah, OK. DNS-O-Matic is an automatic dynamic IP update service, not DDNS service. I may be wrong, just reading quickly what the service does.

I can try another hostname... but one thing I noticed recently is that... even though I have set DDNS to not use a certificate... it generates one anyway?
I noticed after I started using this AC86U.. with my old 68P router it wasn't doing this... not sure if this is meaningful but.. this is what Im referring to.. and if you notice.. why would it have that ip of 192.168.50.1?
That's not even the subnet Im using.

1634090289553.png

192.168.50.1 is the default IP for your router. You don't need this certificate, just get the DDNS host name from Asuswrt service. You can actually get your external IP, place it in .ovpn file and connect with it, if this IP doesn't change too often. If you can connect, you just need to fix your DDNS.

Right.. that's the only reason Im using dnsomatic.. to make sure OpenDns which is the DNS server Im using gets the most updated IP

I've seen AC86Us with both 1.1 and 50.1 default IP, but it doesn't matter for what we are talking about.

ok.. what do I enter as the host name...also, in the certificate portion...disable it correct?