What's new

ORBI RBK23 Topology Changing and Satellites Dropping

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyersrule

Occasional Visitor
So I have had the RBK23 for a few months now but just opened the box as we moved into our new house. I have had so many issues since installing it's driving me crazy.

The house is wired for Cat 6 in most locations all feeding to a closet on the 2nd floor. The house is about 3600sqft but WiFi is really needed mostly in central locations.

I setup the RBR20 router upstairs in my office where my cable modem is. I then setup a Satellite in the media room directly below the study so the Satellite is probably 15ft directly below.

I then setup a Satellite in the living room which is probably 40 ft from the media room on 1st floor. It's also probably still in range of the upstairs study router.

Originally I did my setup earlier with the stock firmware completely wireless and not using Ethernet backhaul. The topology showed up as star with each connecting to the main router. Later today I then came home and the topology was daisy chained.

I noticed that some of my devices we're connected to either the router or the furthest satellite so their signal was weak.

I figured I hadn't updated the firmware so I did that to 2.3.1.58

This is when all my problems started.
Some of my satellites are dropping out as shown in the Daisy chain configuration below. It also shows the week device attached to the router even though satellite 1 is within a few feet of it.
https://imgur.com/a/aUzGvzs

Next I figured why don't I backhaul satellite 2 with the Ethernet. That is when the system went completely nuts. It keeps switching between star and daisy chain topology. Some of the satelittes keep going out, etc. You can see multiple pictures of issues over the last hour. Devices keep dropping as well
https://imgur.com/a/E1BmNHa

Any help would be great. Move to a mesh thinking it was going to be amazing and all I have is issues now.

A single RT-AC3100 worked better it seems in a larger home (please follow my link in the signature below to the RT-AC3100 Report).

I believe you have way too many satellites in that smaller (for modern/current routers/AP's) home.

I don't know how well a configuration of mixed wireless and Ethernet satellites will work.

But first explore L&LD's suggestion and remove one of the satellites. Too many mesh nodes is NOT a good thing.

I suggest you try the router in your office and one satellite in the media room, connected via Ethernet. You may need to reset both to defaults and rerun setup.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Daisy Chain needs to be disabled when RBS are connected via Ethernet.

So I have had the RBK23 for a few months now but just opened the box as we moved into our new house. I have had so many issues since installing it's driving me crazy.

The house is wired for Cat 6 in most locations all feeding to a closet on the 2nd floor. The house is about 3600sqft but WiFi is really needed mostly in central locations.

I setup the RBR20 router upstairs in my office where my cable modem is. I then setup a Satellite in the media room directly below the study so the Satellite is probably 15ft directly below.

I then setup a Satellite in the living room which is probably 40 ft from the media room on 1st floor. It's also probably still in range of the upstairs study router.

Originally I did my setup earlier with the stock firmware completely wireless and not using Ethernet backhaul. The topology showed up as star with each connecting to the main router. Later today I then came home and the topology was daisy chained.

I noticed that some of my devices we're connected to either the router or the furthest satellite so their signal was weak.

I figured I hadn't updated the firmware so I did that to 2.3.1.58

This is when all my problems started.
Some of my satellites are dropping out as shown in the Daisy chain configuration below. It also shows the week device attached to the router even though satellite 1 is within a few feet of it.
https://imgur.com/a/aUzGvzs

Next I figured why don't I backhaul satellite 2 with the Ethernet. That is when the system went completely nuts. It keeps switching between star and daisy chain topology. Some of the satelittes keep going out, etc. You can see multiple pictures of issues over the last hour. Devices keep dropping as well
https://imgur.com/a/E1BmNHa

Any help would be great. Move to a mesh thinking it was going to be amazing and all I have is issues now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!